Submitted by Common_Project t3_119wa21 in BuyItForLife

I bought a speed Queen commercial washer and dryer set from a foreclosure auction and they came with the coin operated slot thing and they’re locked. I’ve called a lock smith and theyre coming out next week to make a new key for the existing locks. the only issue is once I unlock them, will I have to keep putting in the same $1.50 every time I want to wash? Is there a website where I can buy the manual to do a conversion or a owners manual? I don’t mind just taking out and putting in the quarters, I just have no idea how these things really work. They didn’t come with manuals or keys so I can’t pop it open until the keys are made and I already filled up the coin container so now I can’t wash my clothes at home until next Wednesday.

I read online that there’s a way to control these over wifi and Bluetooth but honestly I just want to be able to push start and have it start. :(

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DHN_95 t1_j9ocnxu wrote

This is kind of funny. Try contacting SQ, and see if you can get ahold of the manual. There's probably a fairly simple change that can be made in order to bypass the coin receptor. If not, have a key made, keep using coins, then whenever it's full, use the laundry money for your pizza fund. On the upside, you have a much more durable W&D unit in your house.

Common_Project OP t1_j9r6hvx wrote

Apparently since I’m not the original purchaser or a someone in the service field i can’t purchase one. I figured I’d 3D print a little slide like those at a water park and just have the change come back to the front.

SloChild t1_j9og7yy wrote

A copy/paste answer I found:

>you can get it to run by installing coin plugs in the slide area assembly or leave the top lock panel open and push the spring arm before each load for personal use.

Flossthief t1_j9p3dhe wrote

My old apartment used speed queens and wanted $3.50 a load

I eventually got myself a key and yeah if you leave that panel open you can just start the machine for free and/or change the prices

Key was like $12

Common_Project OP t1_j9r6nut wrote

I’ll try to find a key online, locksmith was definitely not quoting me $12, wouldn’t be surprised if they already have a key if you can purchase it online. Thank you.

ZombieManilow t1_j9rlwyg wrote

Cartoons taught me that what you need is a coin glued to the end of a string.

con40 t1_j9om8iv wrote

Might search for instructions to go the opposite way, could help you find something useful.

dknj1 t1_j9obk5y wrote

Typically commercial uses different voltage then residential…

Common_Project OP t1_j9oc5og wrote

They have a regular residential 110v plug. I’ve had it plugged in and working for about 4 days now, this isn’t a question regarding voltages or power. I know lots of people on BIFL but these and I wanted to give them a try as well :)

dknj1 t1_j9ocix2 wrote

No worries, just making sure it was useable first. (Have seen plenty of people purchase commercial stuff to realize later they cannot use due to voltage being incompatible.) Sorry I can’t help in regards to the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth aspect. I have called speed queen before and they pickup the phone so maybe give that a try?

Common_Project OP t1_j9r7nwr wrote

I understand. I once purchased a cnc machine for my garage at home that required 3 phase and unless I forked over $35,000 to a contractor or bought a $9,000 diesel generator it was completely useless to me since I couldn’t power it at all.

shreddymcwheat t1_j9rypl9 wrote

Have you tried contacting a Speed Queen vendor? We bought a washer for an apartment and they were able to get us a key and also change out the coin box. I’m certain they would be willing to help. Even if it ends up being a service call, a few bucks might get you to the right solution rather than having a piecemeal solution.

Also, I don’t know what model you have.. but ours will hold just over $150. You have a lot of quarters in there!

Common_Project OP t1_j9st4w6 wrote

I’ll look for a vendor. They might also have some insight on the Bluetooth stuff :) thanks for that idea. It had some coins in it already and I used about $45. I used to pay to have my clothes laundered and pressed so $45 in a week of laundry felt like nothing hopefully it’ll be free from now on. I noticed they had these washers and dryers at the cleaner I went to so I figured they’re the way to go :)

shreddymcwheat t1_j9u0m7t wrote

Good luck! We bought a used one to replace a front load whirlpool that got zapped by a power surge, and parts or even a new washer were impossible to get with supply chain shortages. Ended up buying the top load Speed Queen, it’s a touch louder but I was sold on being able to be rebuilt and a local service shop.