Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Arcade80sbillsfan t1_ja80gll wrote

Reply to comment by Diplogeek in Le Crueset still BIFL? by pussayforlife

Don't aspire for "better" if yours suits you

Name on a pan doesn't get you life points or anything.

I have a bunch of Aldi enameled cast iron and it's awesome and works great. (I detailed what I have in another reply in this thread). My buddy with some lecreuset comments when he sees mine that he likes my lids better....and handles on my pans better. He's an older Italian man whom which we're good friends and he and I both enjoy cooking.

For example I have some All Clad stuff. (Stainless) I also have some SALT brand (bed bath beyond house brand). I actually like the SALT stuff better (lids and handles)....more comfortable better seal. The pans themselves have better handles. The heat distribution is pretty much the same so performance is the same. Got whole set for what one of my All Clad costs.

Name just doesn't really mean anything if you know what to look for.

Diplogeek t1_ja8qspn wrote

Those are all fair points (and why I've never quite been able to pull the trigger on a Le Creuset). I think the happy medium for me would be trying to hit up one of the two big sales they do at their factory store in France every year and buying one there (although I'd buy something other than a Dutch oven, because why double up?), but beyond that, you're totally right- if the current Dutch oven is working, there's really no need to buy another.

My current pots and pans are an Emeril Lagasse-branded set that I got on a recommendation from Reddit (maybe here), I think, and honestly, they're great, even though they weren't terribly expensive and aren't All Clad or whatever. I've had them about seven years, they heat evenly, do the job, and the worst thing I can say is that one of the glass lids shattered when my wife dropped it a couple of years ago. We'll keep on using them until they're no longer usable, but I expect that'll be a good, long time.