Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Muncie4 t1_ja7ndlo wrote

Your question lacks depth as Le Crueset makes about 789 things for the kitchen, each with a unique lifespan which really depends on the end user. Every enamel product on the planet can and will chip depending on the end user and/or latent defects, with Le Crueset likely being better than what you'd find at Walmart. BIFL is not about things that will last a literal 1000 years as every product fails, but Le Crueset is generally regarded as top tier for cast iron stuff. As to their 641 other things...not so much.

Martinsimonnet t1_ja99hz3 wrote

Their enameled cast iron is the only thing that’s still made in France compared to the rest of their production if I’m not mistaken. Might explain a lot!

HalcyonDias t1_jab0lwc wrote

Many of their products are made in China. It’s confirmed.

Ahvier t1_jabe7p2 wrote

Just because it's made in china, does not mean that it's bad quality though

pussayforlife OP t1_ja7pjpv wrote

So basically just the cast iron is worth it, everything else not so much

Muncie4 t1_ja7qcyu wrote

I would not throw that blanket on the whole brand, but you can knowingly buy anything cast iron sans fear. Their other stuff is likely made by someone else with their logo and may or may not be a BIFL item.

Educated_Bro t1_ja8590v wrote

Enamel Dutch oven pot along with enamel frying pans I will attest to - most used items in my kitchen

Ennkey t1_ja7q1ux wrote

Honestly it sounds like operator error, some brands are fantastic and BIFL, but just not suitable for everyone’s use case and habits. All Clad is similar quality, but you might find a little more approachable due to the care differences

aptruncata t1_ja8f9u8 wrote

Enameled cast iron get my approval. Buy it once and forget about it.

mrjbacon t1_ja8zv24 wrote

Their glazed stoneware is also very good.

HamBroth t1_jaa0aar wrote

Check out the Revol brand if you’re looking for dishes. It’s a French restaurant brand that expanded into homewares. All their stuff is super strong and microwave/freezer.oven safe.

https://www.revol1768.com/

russkhan t1_ja8qxlo wrote

I've had my 3.5qt triply saucier for a few years now and I believe it will continue to last.

JerkRussell t1_jaaih68 wrote

I have some casserole dishes from LC and I’d say they’re worth it. They’re a nice weight and weighted well so they’re easy to handle.

My LC kettle is also great. I suspect it will last my whole lifetime, although there are many kettles that would achieve this.

LC mugs are nice and hold up well. Like Muncie4 said, your question lacks depth. Maybe try over in the LC sub.

It’s a great brand, but you can get very similar results from other brands. It’s just whether you value LC I guess. Get what you can afford and what will bring value to your cooking.

apathy-sofa t1_ja9cr12 wrote

If you're asking about enameled cast iron, Lodge is also BIFL and way cheaper. Also, can go in a hot oven (the L.C. lid handles melt).

cerulean-ice t1_ja9ma02 wrote

whut, how do they melt?

apathy-sofa t1_ja9ngwt wrote

They are epoxy resin.

From https://www.lecreuset.com/care-and-use.html:

> The black phenolic lid knobs on our Classic range of enameled cast iron are heat-resistant to 390°F / 190°C.

If you pay extra, you can get the same quality metal handles as the Lodge ones have out of the box.

jjmmll t1_ja9nxgn wrote

Le creuset also has a range with metal handles. I’ve got one.

thalion5000 t1_ja9o2ch wrote

The handle on my lodge says “lecruset” because it wasn’t always this way.

My3floofs t1_jaaghiv wrote

You can go to any le creuset shop or outlet and they will give you a form to get metal knobs.

ladz t1_ja8ed0m wrote

Le Crueset isn't significantly tougher than generic enameled cast iron. Their earthenware also isn't.

Their enameled thin steel cookware is pretty, but I wouldn't want to use that stuff regularly because thin enameled steel always chips a lot and thin enameled cookware burns a lot and you can't scour it or you'll scratch the shit out of the glass and wreck it.

At this point in our timeline where generic enameled cast iron (Lodge, etc) is 1/5th-1/10th the price of Le Crueset or Staub, it's not really worth the cost unless you're going for a photoshoot or specific shapes that aren't generic yet.

The best way to keep enameled cookware nice is to NEVER use a green scotch brite pad or metal. Always use wood utensils and if you need to scratch food off, use a wooden spoon or a blue scotch brite pad.

I don't know any other Le Crueset brand things that are worth looking at, maybe there are some?

russkhan t1_ja8rev4 wrote

I've had my 3.5qt triply saucier for a few years now and I believe it will continue to last.

ladz t1_ja9lfl5 wrote

Nice! I didn't know they made those. Big fan of multi-clad stuff. All of it (even the stuff that's dual-ply and aluminum on the outside) seems to last really well.

ThrowsUpUpAndAway t1_jaahshs wrote

I would also add that bar keepers friend pots and pans cleaner is great on Le Crueset and gentle enough it won’t void any warranty. I also recommend the bamboo pot scraper on Marley’s Monsters for cleaning delicate cookware with stuck-on food.

HIGH_PRESSURE_TOILET t1_ja8i7u1 wrote

it's Le Creuset not Le Crueset lmao. OP makes one typo and a whole chain of comments just gets it wrong too smh

−14

ladz t1_ja8qrd4 wrote

always gotta be one :)

Meowmeowpotatoes t1_ja8rd7t wrote

Does your username relate to you being a shithead?

HIGH_PRESSURE_TOILET t1_ja8thwj wrote

Spelling it correctly helps future people who are searching for opinions on products on this subreddit, making the post more useful overall. It would be nice if people would put in the minimal amount of effort necessary to spell things corright.

Meowmeowpotatoes t1_ja8ubh7 wrote

But being an ass about it helps no one. Google will autocorrect for them. Your comment was unnecessary

TheCakemeister t1_ja8w8j3 wrote

Yes, Google will correct the search term, and then not show the typo that is posted.

−2

Philngud t1_jab7ofb wrote

Debatable though I'd you get solid cast iron like lodge or other quality non enameled, unless dropped on the floor (and even then) that might actually be BIFL. Heck, even if it rusts, you can sand it down, treat it 2-3 times in the oven and boom, good as new.

I love le Creuset, but if someone is visiting and happens to use it and scrape it with a metal something. That's ruined. Can't get it back unless you want to pay a bunch of money to get it re enamled and even then, it will likely be a poor enamle job and have weak spots that will get ruined again.

That or, like me, chuck out all metal anythings other than utensils, have mostly wooden spatulas, and that solves you running into that possible mistake, OR be that person yelling at people to "step away from my kitchen!!!"

Environmental-Sock52 t1_ja7px60 wrote

Le Creuset is awesome. I live near an outlet and have had no problem and things made decades ago and today are holding up the same.

icedtea4life5 t1_ja9rkg4 wrote

What kind of discounts do you see at the outlets? There’s one about an hour away from me, is it worth the drive?

Environmental-Sock52 t1_ja9vofg wrote

I got a few things at about 40% off of retail. I remember a grill pan I saw on QVC for $129 being $39 too. And it was just a lovely store as well. Nice to be able to go and touch everything and see what things feel like.

_banana_phone t1_jacvwrm wrote

I love seeing all the colors side by side. I want them all.

Environmental-Sock52 t1_jacxkgx wrote

I know. I really felt like a visit to this store was self-care. I found it during some of the worst parts of Covid and to see the colors and craftsmanship really meant a lot honestly.

lallaallaallal t1_jaaim47 wrote

I was there yesterday. They had markdowns on specific colors. One color for the 7.25 qt dutch oven was marked at $269. Retail is $460. Two other colors were at $290. The rest were around $410, I think.

larkinowl t1_ja7pfi6 wrote

It is if it is made in France! They make lower quality stuff in China for outlet malls etc.

KelMHill t1_ja7vx6l wrote

Watch out for this in all reputable manufacturing brands, as they all seem to have cut costs by now producing at least some of their product in China as well as other countries where costs are lower and quality control less stringent. Many of them established a solid reputation for quality output in a single country of origin, but have since 'outsourced' some of their production to cheaper venues.

Thanmandrathor t1_ja8ms13 wrote

Kitchen aid does this with their stand mixers. If I recall correctly, some of their big box sold ones, that go on deep sales, have less powerful motors etc.

Environmental-Sock52 t1_ja7q2zr wrote

Some outlets have the French stuff. At my outlet all the cookware is French and the accessories and small decor items are Chinese. 🍀🙏🏼

Blue-cheese-dressing t1_ja7w24y wrote

The outlet near us has both- some of the unique to the outlet stuff is made in China specifically for outlets to sell at a low cost.

pussayforlife OP t1_ja7rsq1 wrote

I got mostly the Chinese stuff 😓 definitely not good quality for le crueset prices

snoop_ard t1_ja8a2vj wrote

I usually buy mine on sale from Williams Sonoma. Don’t really focus on colors, it helps in tracking the prices.

KeystoneSews t1_ja8v4d0 wrote

I wouldn’t worry about it. Seems like there’s a stereotype that lower quality things are made in China. Unless there’s actual evidence that your items are lower quality, I would take this with a grain of salt.

russkhan t1_ja8rru2 wrote

Some is made in Portugal. I have a Le Creuset triply stainless saucier that is.

MonaMayI t1_ja7ybs3 wrote

I prefer Staub for investment enamel cookware. The handles come as metal standard, the insides are black, not white, so you avoid seeing staining. Mine is going on 12 years now and, while the outside could use a little time with some BKF, it’s still in pristine condition with heavy use.

pork_fried_christ t1_ja8mzi9 wrote

Counterpoint, the black enamel is exactly why I don’t prefer staub. I want to see the fond form and watch for burning.

Your staub is still stained.

knuF t1_jaa2297 wrote

The next counterpoint for staub is their Dutch ovens have a bit more surface area for browning. I chose staub, but I do wish I had a creamy enamel interior… but the price made it an easy decision. I also remember reading cooking reviews and staub performed slightly better.

pork_fried_christ t1_jaaw1sl wrote

So my view on the price is a bit skewed because I used to work with a guy that also worked at bed bath and beyond and got me hooked up on the 7.25qt Le Crueset for $175. Since falling in love, I’d buy it for full price tomorrow and have no regret but before I got it I was definitely considering staub. Like I said, I didn’t prefer the black enamel because it hides the fond, but I DID like the points around the lid to condense steam when braising. They are definitely a really high quality product.

knuF t1_jaaxkiu wrote

Man you got a slick deal that's for sure!

Blue-Bird780 t1_ja9owcm wrote

Yeah after buying a Staub 7qt for a steal I wish I could have got my hands on a Le Creuset for the same price. It actually really irks me to not be able to see the fond develop

thehuxtonator t1_ja7mv1z wrote

They have a lifetime guarantee but accidental damage is not covered by this.

Whether that means you consider Le Crueset are bifl depends on your definition of the term.

For me, they are bifl.

pussayforlife OP t1_ja7o3tq wrote

That's a solid point. I consider BIFL more of such a well made product that you shouldn't need to use the warranty, but I definitely see where you're coming from you're not getting those warranties on Walmarts cookware

Arcade80sbillsfan t1_ja7zmjp wrote

Honestly I've had awesome luck with Aldi enameled cast iron.

Make sure to open it in store and check it before you leave. I've done that and I have the lasagna pan, a large braiser, dutch oven, sauce pan, oval roaster (awesome for chickens), a smaller dutch oven (lids for all last 5) and a fry pan and griddle mark fry pan.

So 8 (13 if you counted lids separately) pieces from Aldi, all in probably about $170 (hit some on clearance and such but even full Aldi price would have only been like $230.

These pans aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I treat them like any enameled cast iron should be and they absolutely perform.

upvoatsforall t1_ja8j02n wrote

If you buy the non stick frying pan, it says you can use it in a broiler, which typically heats up to 500-550 degrees F.

If the pan is heated to over 475 it ruins the non stick coating and will not covered by their warranty. They will offer you 50% off a replacement.

bitchthatwaspromised t1_ja8wegu wrote

Do you think the lifetime guarantee would cover a loose handle? I inherited a frying pan recently and the loose handle is bugging the shit out of me and idk how to fix it

thehuxtonator t1_ja99m8u wrote

Usually for frying pans, if you look down the handle towards the pan you can see a screw inside.

Cross head (X) or flat (-).

Use a screwdriver of correct type and run it clockwise to tighten.

Le Cruset may cover - check their website for your location.

evergreennightmare t1_ja904g4 wrote

> They have a lifetime guarantee but accidental damage is not covered by this.

it only covers intentional damage?

−1

zomgtehvikings t1_ja8e5qx wrote

Staub is better. Buy their enameled cast irons

IndependentKnee9754 t1_ja8hcds wrote

Just want to throw in some love in for Staub enameled Dutch ovens too! I have both, and they’re each are amazing BIFL quality. The staub is slightly better at searing, and keeps everything just as juicy as LC. It’s also a slightly lower price point (~$350 for a 5.5 qt vs LC ~$450 for the same size)

Ornery_Wallaby6640 t1_ja8o5q9 wrote

I bought my shallow casserole 2 years ago in outlet store and I use it frequently (1 or 2 times a week). I wash it only in dishwasher and I use harsh tablets because I'm lazy. It's not as pretty as new (shine is gone) but enamel is intact.

coffeejn t1_ja7y4qk wrote

I'd only get the dutch oven and if they are made in France. I would not recommend the pans since you can season iron pans and never have to worry about the enamel. For fry pans, I'd take a look at "Matfer Bourgeat Black Carbon Steel Fry Pan" or something similar design since the handle is welded instead of rivets.

lucyfell t1_ja9btns wrote

I went with staub because I kept seeing them at local restaurants and figured if anyone would go BIFL it would be someone running a low margin business who needs stuff to survive rough and frequent use and doesn’t want to pony up cash for new shit all the time 🤷🏻‍♀️

bezerkeley t1_ja7q9z7 wrote

Sure, but for 3x the price? I'm not sure if it's worth it. Anyone have other BIFL Dutch ovens?

Diplogeek t1_ja7sbqe wrote

I have a Lodge one (enameled cast iron) that has served me very well for probably... ten years now? I would love to get a Le Creuset at some point, but realistically, the average home cook can probably get away with Lodge for most stuff.

Arcade80sbillsfan t1_ja80gll wrote

Don't aspire for "better" if yours suits you

Name on a pan doesn't get you life points or anything.

I have a bunch of Aldi enameled cast iron and it's awesome and works great. (I detailed what I have in another reply in this thread). My buddy with some lecreuset comments when he sees mine that he likes my lids better....and handles on my pans better. He's an older Italian man whom which we're good friends and he and I both enjoy cooking.

For example I have some All Clad stuff. (Stainless) I also have some SALT brand (bed bath beyond house brand). I actually like the SALT stuff better (lids and handles)....more comfortable better seal. The pans themselves have better handles. The heat distribution is pretty much the same so performance is the same. Got whole set for what one of my All Clad costs.

Name just doesn't really mean anything if you know what to look for.

Diplogeek t1_ja8qspn wrote

Those are all fair points (and why I've never quite been able to pull the trigger on a Le Creuset). I think the happy medium for me would be trying to hit up one of the two big sales they do at their factory store in France every year and buying one there (although I'd buy something other than a Dutch oven, because why double up?), but beyond that, you're totally right- if the current Dutch oven is working, there's really no need to buy another.

My current pots and pans are an Emeril Lagasse-branded set that I got on a recommendation from Reddit (maybe here), I think, and honestly, they're great, even though they weren't terribly expensive and aren't All Clad or whatever. I've had them about seven years, they heat evenly, do the job, and the worst thing I can say is that one of the glass lids shattered when my wife dropped it a couple of years ago. We'll keep on using them until they're no longer usable, but I expect that'll be a good, long time.

JerkRussell t1_jaajnap wrote

I have the Lodge enamelled DO and it’s nice. The LC is slightly lighter and that’s about it. Both cook equally well.

Unlike pots and pans I don’t think it really matters much when it comes to enamelled cast iron. I’m sure someone will chime in with a whataboutism but the Lodge is good quality for less than half the price.

SuperToll9000 t1_ja7y0em wrote

I think Staub is just as good as Le Crueset and is often a bit cheaper.

Fruitndveg t1_ja808vk wrote

Got a no name one from Amazon off the outlaws years ago, still going strong. I wouldn’t pay what le creuset charge, it’s a middle class status purchase at this point. I’m sure they’re great but enamelled cast iron is enamelled cast iron. Treat it right and it’ll treat you right. There’s not much more to it.

JerkRussell t1_jaak37d wrote

Judging by the downvotes on your comment and anyone else who has echoed what you said, you hit the nail on the head and hit a few nerves.

I’m starting to think BIFL is often an excuse to justify paying more for prestige labels.

Fruitndveg t1_jabmozn wrote

People are just weirdly insecure over certain brands here, Le creuset being one of them. I have a full set of le creuset pans I received as a hand me down and they’re nothing special. They’ve survived a long time but so have my generic stainless steel saucepans and they’re a lot more user friendly.

People want to feel like they’ve invested in the right thing. I get that 100%. This is an open forum though, and I have a lot of experience with their products. I stand by it, they’re a status display for middle class people.

Bruyere_DuBois t1_ja7rgpm wrote

I have two--a Tramontina and a World Market house brand. I've had them both for nearly 20 years, use regularly. They have some chips in the enamel and some staining. I accidentally scalded milk in the Tramontina. Once I was able to chip the burnt milk off, it looks practically black on the bottom, but still works like an enameled dutch oven. No signs of slowing down on either 🤷‍♀️

Le Creuset is pretty, and it's nice that they will replace or fix them. ALL enamel will chip if you're really using the pot. But it takes a real kitchen catastrophe to significantly and permanently harm any cast iron.

Arcade80sbillsfan t1_ja80oyd wrote

If you haven't on that discoloured bottom, try some bar keepers friend. Powdered cleanser.... it's more fine and made of something else that escapes me at the moment but works great on them at removing stains.

Awesome stuff...my stainless looks brand new all the time too.

Bruyere_DuBois t1_ja85qzv wrote

At this point, it's looked like that for years, and it doesn't affect the use of the pot. I'm fine with it being a reminder to pay better attention when cooking with dairy 😄

Arcade80sbillsfan t1_ja8f316 wrote

"adds character" as my friend and I say.

Bruyere_DuBois t1_ja8r9d3 wrote

Exactly. I actually cook with these things, and they look like it, rather than decorative elements in my Instagram-ready farmhouse-styled kitchen 🤷‍♀️

Arcade80sbillsfan t1_ja8rje3 wrote

Lol yeah I want organization and ease of use. Not picture ready.

Can't trade likes in for prizes at the ticket counter like skee ball

MarginallyBlue t1_ja7x3mk wrote

If you follow the care advice around here most enameled cast iron is gonna last a long time. the best would likely be non enameled. i have vintage cast iron frying pans that are used weekly.

i love my staub items - still expensive, but less than le creuset. the advantage there is the interior enamel is black. i’ve used this pot regularly (like at least twice a week) for 8 yrs, still going strong.

i have a cuisinart that looked and held up similar to my old roommates le crueset when we lived together. how they compatibly fair now i’m not sure.

edhitchon1993 t1_ja7z8su wrote

We've a 30 year-old Le Creuset and it's going well, some damage to the coating over the years but it's still useable.

My mum also has a 15 year old one which is great, but then she also has some Aldi ones of about the same age which are in just as good condition - and she uses them more because they're smaller - the only issue with them was the knobs which cost about £3 to replace.

SigSeikoSpyderco t1_ja7y0dj wrote

All Dutch ovens are BIFL. Ceramic not so much. Even Le Creuset and Staub can have failed ceramic after decades or from accidental bumps and scrapes. Warranties help with this but truly BIFL pieces are bare iron which will last centuries unchanged if not physically broken.

−4

foxxpoint t1_ja7xfzy wrote

The skillets and entirely ceramic pieces are a waste of money in my opinion, but the classic enameled cast iron is still bifl. That being said, i would seek out used pieces.

Preset_Squirrel t1_ja8w2gg wrote

Yo I got a Martha Stewart Dutch oven 9 years ago and it is as good as the day I got it and a fraction of the cost of le crueset

Enamel isn't as white but that's from hundreds of not thousands of uses lol

ClnSlt t1_ja822ue wrote

I enjoy my casserole dishes and pie pans. They work quite well and have never chipped.

We’ve had issues with enameled cast iron overheating on electric stoves- you have to be really careful. Nowadays I only use them for liquids because I’m afraid of hurting them.

spambearpig t1_ja8a75p wrote

We bought a big cast iron caserole pot and that’s been remarkably good, the enamel is great, always easier to clean than I think it’s gonna be. It’s all 100% in tact 5 years later. Not sure about their other products but it seems their big metal pots are still worth the price.

Boerboelwrangler t1_ja8btmw wrote

I live in Germany on the border to France and I have three pots that I found in a French antique store and they are amazing, I was in the LC store in Germany looking at the new ones and they feel lighter and not as durable but never owned a new one so can’t really compare.

1000at40 t1_ja8fqvq wrote

We just got a brand new large Dutch oven to replace one that got some small chips inside. They said we must have done a “dry boil” but replaced it anyway no charge.

gsjanbevsb t1_ja8jkfv wrote

They have excellent customer service, so if they do chip or etc then they will send out a replacement without much questioning. I have done this multiple times, with handles which have fallen of mugs, to chipped or worn enamel.

35mmMora t1_ja8tr8q wrote

I’m daily using a cast iron/enamel coated frying pan from 1980 that I found at goodwill and it impressed me so much that I bought my wife a new Dutch oven. Worth every penny. Quality materials, easy to clean, cooks perfectly every single time.

21plankton t1_ja8ulfb wrote

I would suggest buying LC at a brick and mortar store if you are experiencing shipping damage that is a pain. That way you can examine what you are buying and don’t have to ship back the defective item. That said, our most recent purchase online was a bread cloche which arrived flaw free online from LC. I do all my buying online except for food and what I run across in Walmart or Target, and there is a certain rate of damage and the occasional scam which everyone who buys online just tolerates and returns, and I find buying from trusted sources is best because I can get my money back.

All that said, BIFL is a bit of a misnomer if you expect a 30 year old dutch oven to look new. After 15 years we have the bread dutch oven be permanently stained (it is replaced with the bread cloche) but it functions well. I have a 50 year old Revlon manicure set which the leather case finally broke and I have moved on. I find only things which do not get heavy use actually last a lifetime. Buying actual good quality lasts longer. I treat anything electronic as if it is food, because all electronics have a limited life. I keep buying good quality leather family room couches but they still only last 10 years of heavy use. I think buying quality is good, but good value at a good price (thrift) is more prudent.

Big-Ad-5149 t1_ja94u7b wrote

No love for seasoned cast iron? There’s no coating to chip

Spitinthacoola t1_ja985u2 wrote

I've got one of their enameled cast iron pots and I've baked bread in it nearly every single day for 5 years. Idk if it's BIFL but it's been getting work done for me with no signs of slowing down.

drumsonfire t1_ja9a1ad wrote

All my enamel Dutch ovens have performed well and I have a vintage 8” enamel frypan that’s still great although somewhat discolored on the cooking surface. Probably from the 70s.

vmflair t1_ja9cbkv wrote

Been collecting Le Crueset cookware to use for 30 years. I currently have 4 saucepans, two dutch ovens, two casserole pans, a non-stick frying pan and a lidded paella pan (all enameled cast iron). Only the non-stick pan has any significant wear, as the coating is damaged and flaking a bit. Otherwise, just some minor chips, bottom wear and staining to the interiors. I always wash them by hand and am careful to avoid chipping the enamel, but I literally use everything on a regular basis and the sauce pans daily.

jw3usa t1_ja9cbn6 wrote

Absolutely, my 5qt braiser is my desert island choice. Big enough to cook lobsters, spaghetti, as a frying pan, as a steamer using the heavy lid, or a roast in the oven. They also make a simple wine opener, which I would classify as BIFL as it is sturdy and a pleasure to use. Assuming there is wine on the above 🏝️

sexxit_and_candy t1_ja9ejrc wrote

I like their plates, but they chip like any other plate I've had. No issues with their cast iron, enameled or otherwise!

newsmansupreme t1_ja9eqro wrote

I love both my Dutch oven and my enameled cast iron skillet. If they're the main line products made in France, they're very much buy it for life. But the reality is yes, you are paying a good bit for the brand. A Lodge for a third of the price is going to do just fine and hold up close to, if not just as well. If you don't find value in having the brand name and the conversation-piece aspect of owning a Le Crueset, get the Lodge. I personally do think those things do have some value more so than a lot of the people on this sub. I love the Le Cruesets as decor just as much as functional cooking tools.

kraftjerk416 t1_ja9waec wrote

Had an enameled kettle from them that started crumbling after a few years. Won’t be buying another.

Snarm t1_jaaclt6 wrote

LC has some carbon steel sheet pans that are absolutely fantastic. We've been using them damn near every day for the last six or so years, no warping yet. Hand-wash and dry if you want to keep them from rusting where the edges curl, though - husband learned that one the hard way.

Floating_carp12 t1_jaagszc wrote

While they’re a good brand. They have done nothing new in the last 100 years. That could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

mtl_jim t1_jaaoohk wrote

Get Staub. Same quality. Also made in France. Can be had for 50% of what LeCreuset costs when it’s on sale…

AlphaOhmega t1_jaarttw wrote

Had one for about 5 years now, other than some minor discoloration on the bottom, works like new.

mentaikooooo t1_jaaxc9f wrote

Their enameled cookware has lifetime limited warranty. I got my dutch oven replaced for free without a lot of hoops to jump through!

myredditaccount80 t1_jab3tbe wrote

The cast iron is, the ceramic stuff is not, i.e. the made in France stuff is and the made in China stuff is not.

orwellianspy t1_jab40vj wrote

If you like lead it’s a great brand!

Easy_Independent_313 t1_jab462h wrote

I'm starting wonder if it is too. I have a Dutch oven that I've had for six years. Heavy use. Hand washing. It's not looking so great at this point.

AutoModerator t1_ja7lvbn wrote

Hello /u/pussayforlife! Thank you for your submission! The AutoMod thought that your post might be a request type post and has changed the flair accordingly, but if this was wrong feel free to change it back!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

ZukowskiHardware t1_ja86j15 wrote

If it is made in France, it is worth it, everything else, probably not.

Lonely-Connection-37 t1_ja8j7xy wrote

Bought oneLC 12 inch enamel skillet started chipping now I just use it for melting wax

Artemis1911 t1_ja8oos6 wrote

Is chipped enamelled cast iron safe to use? People seem to have different answers. My Le Creuset stuff is underwhelming, they always seem to burn things, even on a low heat

clever__pseudonym t1_ja9o5dd wrote

As far as cast iron goes, Le Creuset is what you buy when you don't know enough to buy Staub. Price is generally about the same. The glazes on Staub are beautiful, as compared to the sunburst thing that Le Creuset does to imitate a good glaze.

​

Williams Sonoma usually has some pieces on sale, or you can get it secondhand on ebay for cheap.

cornmuffins1776 t1_jaaaxuv wrote

Lead Safe Mama showed that these pans test high for lead and cadmium. I used to swear by them but have since switched to cast iron with no coating.