Submitted by cherry-popsicle t3_11ocivl in CambridgeMA

A random guy knocked on my door tonight, claiming he was from WGBH and wanting to know if I’d like to “talk” — no further explanation given. I said no and he left but it really weirded me out, especially since my place isn’t the easiest to find and it was plenty dark by that time.

After doing some googling, I learned that he actually was from WGBH and was going door-to-door to solicit donations. This seems like a terrible idea that goes against all city-living instincts (e.g. don’t engage with a random stranger who comes to your home in the middle of the night).

Why do they do this?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

taguscove t1_jbs36iy wrote

They are trying to fund operations. Public radio is far from lucrative, as evidenced by that decade tenured host that left to join the circus. This is one of a long line of marketing efforts. Do you have any constructive ideas how WGBH can better raise money?

kiwi-cucumber t1_jbsio1u wrote

I mean, can’t OP just also say their current way is sketchy, without having to provide “constructive ways for them to raise money” - that sounds like a “them” problem. /u/cherry-popsicle doesn’t owe them anything just because their current tactics are bad

cherry-popsicle OP t1_jbs3q5u wrote

Yes, how about stopping by during the day and leading with something along the lines of “Hi, I’m so-and-so from WGBH and I’m talking to people in the neighborhood about supporting public radio. Would you have a couple minutes to chat?” Much less creepy.

taguscove t1_jbs3zba wrote

WGBH does not strike me as a particularly sophisticated marketing organization. I am no expert in door to door sales, but you could very well be right

some1saveusnow t1_jbsznzq wrote

I think leading off with donation talk gets shut down easily, but they came too late it sounds like and there’s probably a better line opener than what they used

svc2ra t1_jd9sb66 wrote

It’s not our problem. Are you kidding me?

emilyjoy375 t1_jbu3a3g wrote

This is a very common fundraising tactic for all sorts of organizations — and it’s usually in their script that they don’t say that they’re seeking donations right off the bat, but ask for “a few minutes of your time” or “to talk.” It sounds like they were going a bit late into the evening, but other than that nothing about this really strikes me as sketchy. If you don’t want this to happen again, you can hang up a “no solicitors” sign or something similar on your front door. Might be worth keeping an open mind about this an an aspect of city living though—I’ve had some great conversations with various orgs that have come to my door to talk about things that I care about in the community!

dannydigtl t1_jbuapre wrote

I'm pretty sure he'd do a lot better if he immediately proclaimed, "I'm from WGBH/NPR!!! help us!!!". If you try to chat me up, its no thanks and door closed.

bunk_debunk t1_jbui79n wrote

I'll let others answer your question, but just as an aside: I got a call the other day from a woman with a heavy Southern accent who asked me if I wanted CVS to start giving me three-month supplies of my prescriptions. I said yes and braced myself for the sales pitch, and she said okay have a nice day. It seemed strange, but I appreciate it.

gnimsh t1_jbw5rj6 wrote

Wbur 4 life

unresolved_m t1_jchhtb4 wrote

Had no idea organizations still do door-to-door campaigns in this day and age when you can barely talk to anyone in person...

svc2ra t1_jd9qrd8 wrote

I can’t stand these people. It’s like they try to only find the most introverted, odd and shabby people. I think they are taught to just enter premises no matter the cost or risk. They seem annoyed to be canvassing and have A LOT of ‘tude. Really rude, vile, and disrespectful little shits in my opinion. They’ve been coming to my house every year for several years. Ironic thing is I donate to wgbh on my own time. But I can’t stand them.