Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BaconNinja89 t1_jc83yzb wrote

I’m actually subletting my furnished place this summer because we’re moving to LA for the summer! DM me if interested!

pjm8786 t1_jc82ti3 wrote

Need more info to give you any advice… budget? Location of work? Interests? Etc

In general, there’s nowhere really bad to live in Cambridge but there are trade offs for every neighborhood

Visual_Newspaper_210 OP t1_jc8b0hu wrote

I don’t have a fixed budget as I am privileging comfort of living. I really like walkable areas and accessible coffee shops/grocery places. I will be working on the MIT area and I would be okay with commuting 15/20 minutes.

pjm8786 t1_jc8ofpv wrote

Look around the Kendall square and Harvard Square neighborhoods. Both are very walkable, have access to the T (metro), are within your commute requirement, and most importantly have lots of college/grad students who might be subletting for the summer. In general Kendall is more modern with tall glass buildings while Harvard is much older in a brick and ivy sort of way. Regardless, sublets are your best bet for furnished apartments in the summer

Visual_Newspaper_210 OP t1_jcgv6db wrote

Thank you, that's very helpful! It does get tricky to find an entire apartment for sublet as most students share housing...

Pykors t1_jc9dxmm wrote

You might want to look at East Cambridge then. A little bit farther than living right in Kendall, but it's a nice walk and Curio coffee and the Star Market are right there.

Visual_Newspaper_210 OP t1_jcgvbok wrote

Thank you!! As long as there is access to a T station and it's a nice area, I really don't mind. I commute 40 minutes to go to work everyday here!

ManOfTeele t1_jc8382o wrote

What's your budget? If you want to live alone, you should figure at least $2000/mo for a typical 1BR.

But that's for a normal year long lease. Sounds like you're only looking for a short term rental, which I assume also needs to be furnished?

Visual_Newspaper_210 OP t1_jc8bbo4 wrote

Yes exactly, short term rentals and furnished, which is why I’m aiming for a sublet. But I’m unsure about the location as I’ve never been to Boston/Cambridge before… I really like walkable area and I’ll working around the MIT.

runninginorbit t1_jc98o5x wrote

Kendall, but there's only one grocery store there called Roche Brothers that's stupidly expensive (it's still mostly office buildings and nice restaurants in that area). But for an intern with an unlimited budget, it'll do. It's pretty quiet area too.

Central is buzzing with a lot more casual restaurants, clubs, and shops and it's next to Kendall. Central has a Whole Foods and an HMart (big Asian grocery store chain). A lot of MIT and Harvard students seem to live around there, the nightlife is pretty good.

Have you joined the MIT/Harvard housing groups on Facebook? Would recommend that, lots of people trying to sublet their places on there. For a one bedroom, you are most likely looking at $1.9k-$2k+ per month, anything below that is probably a scam.

Visual_Newspaper_210 OP t1_jcgvleb wrote

Thank you!! Yeah, I almost got scammed at least twice since yesterday... I just joined the facebook groups but it's hard to find an entire place instead of a bedroom...

runninginorbit t1_jcqoh9o wrote

If you do a search in the group for the month you're looking to move e.g. June sublet you should be able to see all the options available in that group. Unfortunately, anything below $2k for an entire place is likely to disappear fast, you'd have better luck if you get comfortable with spending between $2.5-$3k/month.

myrealnameisdj t1_jc8d5j7 wrote

If you're working at MIT, look in the kendall square area. Lots of new buildings around, very walkable and access to the subway.

Advanced-Window-4576 t1_jcbnw2n wrote

Either Kendall or Central sq I would say. I lived in Central for a few years and could walk or take the T anywhere I needed to go. Lot's of coffee shops there, good restaurants (lil donkey), a Target, pharmacies, some live music (idk what's up with the middle east rn), and a Trader Joe's down by the water (Cambridge port). Could look for a sublet if it's just short-term, most likely can find a few furnished ones in the area

Visual_Newspaper_210 OP t1_jcgwo83 wrote

Thank you, that's all super useful!! I am looking for a sublet right now yeah but it's hard to find an entire apartment and not just a room. And there are so many scammers on Facebook, it's insane!

Advanced-Window-4576 t1_jd4ljln wrote

Try out CraigsList too, sometimes you can find gold on there apartment wise (at least for Cambridge/Boston area)

Mswc_ t1_jclugma wrote

I can’t confirm if there are short term options (there should be), but check out the apartment blocks in Kendall area: loft, Third Street Third square and watermark Kendall (some apartments are furnished), 7ink has furnished apartments but it is in Southend so further away.