Submitted by thatguy10095 t3_ymi80o in CambridgeMA

As some of you have probably seen there have been some changes in the moderation team on the sub here. Before he stepped down Taylor Howard assigned both u/soulsentry and me to take over and start taking care of the community. In addition to that, we decided to bring on u/blackdynamitesnewbag as well. We wanted to take an opportunity to introduce ourselves and let everyone know about some of the changes we are undertaking.

Firstly, we understand that there has been some heated debate lately in regard to bicycle infrastructure in our fair city. Clearly, this is a topic that folk are very passionate about and we would like everyone to know that we want this to be a community where important topics like this can be discussed. We have revisited the ban and mute list and have reversed most if not all of the bans that we found to be unnecessary and will be reaching out to those that we have invited back into the sub. With that comes a communal understanding that we would like everyone to keep these conversations civil.

Some of you may have noticed that we've implemented some community guidelines. While we want to facilitate important discussions we also want to facilitate a respectful environment. All that we ask is that everyone treats each other with a certain amount of respect, even when things get a bit heated.

Now that all that is out of the way, I'd like to focus on something more positive. We truly want to build a community in this sub and we want to make some changes to help encourage that. Here in Cambridge, we have some wonderful places to eat and one of the things we would like to hear more from the sub about is their favorite places to grab a bite! Let's make use of those wikis we have and even expand them as needed. What other businesses in the area do you guys love and want to shout out?

Additionally, something I will be working on over the next couple of weeks is creating a space that highlights local community resources. Some people need a little extra support and the best way to get that to them is to let them know what helping hands are available in the area. If there are any agencies or food pantries, or resources that you would like included feel free to drop a comment and I will reach out to you to learn more.

And lastly, our community is nothing without its members. We want to hear from you guys about what you'd like to see more of in the sub. What sort of discussions, posts, content, etc do you feel is missing from r/CambridgeMA? We look forward to working with each of you to build up this sub, thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Hyperbowleeeeeeeeeee t1_iv4uxwg wrote

I'm a big supporter of rule 3, particularly as it applies to the great bicycle wars of 2022. That aside, it would be great to get more postings about upcoming local events. It seems like many groups tend to use facebook to announce these things, but since I don't use facebook, it would be great to get some of those announcements here too.

thatguy10095 OP t1_iv5mya1 wrote

This is a good idea, and I'll try to keep an eye out for things to post in the sub. I know the Brighton Bazaar is tomorrow morning and I'll be checking it out.

Willd26 t1_iv443jw wrote

As a newbie who just moved here in September, I would love an ultimate guide made on all the hidden gems and places to visit in the city.

thatguy10095 OP t1_iv44b02 wrote

As someone who moved here around the same time myself I second this request!

noob_tube03 t1_iv44o25 wrote

I would love to see more community information about the participatory budgeting projects. Especially those that make the cut. It always feels crazy to me how much the "plant a tree" projects seem to cost and how often they're on the ballet, and would love to know what projects have been effective and which have not been as efficient.

At the very least, reddit would be a good place to source ideas for next year's projects. Personally, I want to see more dog parks and bike parking, but most of the projects seems more targeted to the underserved so I totally understand if those are low priority

SoulSentry t1_iv5bz7m wrote

Great idea! I actually know someone on the participatory budget committee so I'll ask them about it.

mbwebb t1_iv4yjp6 wrote

Appreciate the work to improve the sub!

My favorite restaurant is Gustazos in Porter square. I lived near there for years and that’s where I would take any guests visiting, friends birthdays, etc. it’s truly a great place, good food, fun drinks, lively atmosphere. I actually moved out of Cambridge in September unfortunately but I still dream about their Ropa Vieja.

thatguy10095 OP t1_iv5n2tp wrote

I just checked out their menu and this place is definitely going on my to do list!

dny6 t1_iv5y7ey wrote

I’m excited for the changes to this sub. Cambridge is the best place I’ve ever lived and I think many here probably agree, and there is a lot of passion in that.

Nick337Games t1_iv7gp6h wrote

Excited for the next era of the sub!

intellectu4lhumility t1_iv7sef7 wrote

Thanks mods, I'm excited to see the community move forward. Veggie Galaxy is one of my favorite comfort food spots, especially their nondairy milkshakes.

akanefive t1_ivf9df5 wrote

Very grateful for this post, and I think the posted rules are a great idea!

That aside, I don't know if it's a hidden gem, but Revival Cafe over near Alewife is out of the way, surrounded by construction, but it's very near and dear to my heart. It's right off the Minuteman Bike Path extension. I'd eat there everyday if I could.