Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Giants6 t1_itsuhru wrote

Nice Ned will turn Ct in California.

gone_p0stal t1_ituxosz wrote

Wow! You mean to say he's going to turn us into a state that has a self contained GDP bigger than most countries with a thriving tech sector, high standards of living and a thriving tourist economy? All that and they continue to be a net contributor to federal social security rather than a red state drain?

Amazing! Sign me up!

Giants6 t1_itwzw9q wrote

California use to be the American dream. Now a crime ridden, taxed to death, homeless shelter. Take a look at how many celebrities couldn't take it anymore and left.

[deleted] t1_itvyml0 wrote

[removed]

−1

gone_p0stal t1_itw9u5l wrote

I mean all of those things are demonstrably true.

The other things that are true are obviously traffic issues and homelessness as well as air quality. Of course in the cities there is also rent affordability and highly inflated land values. That doesn't diminish the fact that cali is an economic epicenter of the United states and produces exorbitant amounts of food and tech that the rest of the country depends on.

Many of the challenges facing California are not California issues but issues endemic to large, sprawling urban metropolises like LA and San Fran. Some are environmental - the mild climate attracts homeless people from seeing the country because the winters are very forgiving. And some issues, like pollution are man made side effects of heavy industry.

I'm not saying we should be California, but there are plenty of laudable things about California. It's insane to me that i even have to make that distinction when the state is so obviously integral to the functional American economy.