Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jjma14 t1_ir9xdax wrote

Again though, I have problems with the way math is being taught too, but I think that's a bigger issue. It's one thing to not like the way something is taught, but it's another to say they shouldn't teach it at all.

MikeSCARN95 t1_ir9ydpw wrote

Fair, but I think it's an argument of what some parents consider to be a private subject. Maybe at least worth the discussion that it should be the decision of the taxpayers funding a municipality to decide, further , if it is decided to be taught, how and what within the subject is taught. I'll make no argument that people that went to school to teach are better at teaching but that doesn't make them absolute authorities over WHAT is being taught, especially to the point where thier opinions on a subject supercede the will of the actual parents.

jjma14 t1_iradga1 wrote

Well the teachers aren't the ones deciding what's taught though. That's up to the school board I believe. Which is either elected or appointments by an elected official, so we do sort of indirectly control what's taught. But it's certainly worth the discussion.

MikeSCARN95 t1_iragnpq wrote

This is absolutely correct, we do indirectly control it. I only take issue with the notion a subject such as this is mandated by a district. If I understand the sentiment of the OP, it's a call to mandate such education instead of maybe an appeal to the parents/community to request such change. If I'm wrong about the intent, which I very well may be, than there's absolutely no issue with the discussion.