Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Pertinax126 t1_ixhi0w7 wrote

The Republicans on this town committee sound pretty tone deaf and dismissive. And to a large extent are mischaracterizing the debate.

And now the part that is going to get me down-voted: flags are political speech. ALL flags are political speech, regardless of the message they convey.

That's not my opinion. That's the opinion and ruling by the Supreme Court across multiple cases (Texas v Johnson, US v O'Brien, Tinker v Des Moines Independent School District, Stromberg v California, etc.)

The board took the correct action if it wants to avoid a terrible choice: allow politically horrible causes to fly their flags too or face serious legal ramifications.

ovrhere_ t1_ixhmb4k wrote

"If we represent the oppressed then it's only fair we represent the oppressors too" is an absurd cop out. As a queer person i don't particularly care whether a a pride flag flies at town hall or not because it's a performative measure that makes no material difference and isn't an indicator of actual representation. But, if they claim the reason they won't fly it is because they're not capable of making informed decisions about any other flag going forward, then they're not competent representatives.

You're completely correct about all flags being political.