Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

keepitupxxx t1_j25jvg4 wrote

But so many posts about how safe our drivers are in CT these past few days🤔

FancyStegosaurus t1_j26x6wh wrote

Oh,the drivers were perfectly safe.

keepitupxxx t1_j28ss77 wrote

You are right car against pedestrian not paying attention Pedestrian will always lose

topsheetisamust t1_j24v1at wrote

I find this to be absolutely embarrassing for our state. We pride ourselves on “walkability” in certain towns, and then have a statistic like this. I have no idea when driving how you fail to see an entire human, unless someone jumps out on purpose to get hit open your eyes, put the phone down, and pay attention to the road.

JayB2A t1_j24y1d1 wrote

Nobody pays attention anymore. Drivers are looking at their phones or the in dash touchscreen, not the road, pedestrians think that right of way laws override the laws of physics so they just walk into the street without looking. Combined with a near total lack of road law enforcement, it's a recipe for disaster.

If you're walking on an unlit street at night, try wearing bright or preferably reflective clothing. I see way too many pedestrians wearing all black or dark colors, and they're not easy to see at night until you get extremely close. Leash your damn dogs too, stop letting them wander in traffic while you walk.

topsheetisamust t1_j24zgdu wrote

I bought reflective vests off Amazon, so yes I’m that nerd wearing one but I like to jog/walk and I don’t feel like getting run over.

Nyrfan2017 t1_j25erjs wrote

I 100% agree .. I always am watching walkers and it’s amazing how many times I have watched them walking and just turn and cross with out looking . There is a huge issue in society with phone for drivers and walkers

andicandi22 t1_j26o807 wrote

I’ve been driving with both hands on the wheel and my eyes roving the road and I’ve still just barely seen someone at the absolute last second because they are wearing nothing but dark colors and have a hood up or a dark hat on. Some of these deaths are due to the pedestrians not making themselves visible enough at night and stepping out into traffic assuming they can be seen.

updownsidewayz t1_j29ci5l wrote

yah I tried to suggest some of the responsibility or fault falls on pedestrians behavior on other posts but got tons of push back claiming it's solely due to unsafe, distracted or bad drivers, and you're right, there are blind corners, people who step right out into traffic with no signal, notice or anything; not saying this is the cause but it is definitely a factor people need to stop denying

Justagreewithme t1_j27kpt6 wrote

That’s the problem, we are encouraging walking when we should be restricting it. More pedestrians means more pedestrian deaths. The more pedestrians we get off the streets, the more lives we save. We aren’t living in the 1700’s anymore, walking has gone the way of the horse drawn carriage.

−7

ctusa73 t1_j24qimr wrote

Yea because the union cops do jack shit for traffic. Red light, what red light? Speed limit , what speed limit. Who gives a fuck??

Nyrfan2017 t1_j25f5yq wrote

But it’s weird cause couple years ago everyone was saying cops have no rights pulling people over ..

[deleted] t1_j28fbx7 wrote

High school kids who waited two year because of covid are just getting their licenses now so there are a lot of new drivers on the road all at once. I had a hard time getting my 18 year old kid into drivers ed because all the classes were full

[deleted] t1_j255wmt wrote

How about blaming the pedestrians? On nearly a daily basis, I have some clueless idiot just walk in front of me. It needs to be made abundantly clear that pedestrians ONLY have the right of way in a controlled crosswalk when you have the signal. In uncontrolled crosswalks, you still cannot just wander in front of a car assuming they're going to stop. On top of that, I'm in a neighborhood where we have sidewalks and almost NOBODY uses them!

Roads are for Cars. You will never win against a 2 ton piece of steel traveling at 35+mph.

−10

Prestigious_Bobcat29 t1_j25iaol wrote

Maybe, hear me out, the person driving the 2 ton piece of steel at 35+ mph (so almost certainly speeding) should be the one with the onus out on them. Pedestrians ALWAYS have RoW in uncontrolled crosswalks, so slow the hell down if there’s people anywhere near one.

Since lockdown the amount of entitlement and lawlessness on the roads has reached critical mass. Red lights aren’t a guideline, speed limits off the highway really matter (idc what you do on an expressway but 25 versus 35 is life or death in a pedestrian collision), and ffs use your god damn turn signal.

Are pedestrians on their phones too much and too trusting that drivers are paying attention and abiding by the laws of the road? Yeah probably but that’s hardly new. The change needs to come in the form of drivers keeping their eyes on the gd road and obeying the law! Your 30 second delay is not important than someone’s life or potential maiming.

[deleted] t1_j25vipm wrote

>Pedestrians ALWAYS have RoW in uncontrolled crosswalks

No. They don't. They still have to make their intentions known to incoming traffic. You cannot just wander out into traffic because you "think" you have the ROW. That's the problem. Like I said, I see people do it constantly.

−6

Prestigious_Bobcat29 t1_j263res wrote

[deleted] t1_j266dm9 wrote

Almost like laws change. You cannot just walk in front of cars in a crosswalk. Your entitlement will get you killed and I won't even get a ticket.

https://watchformect.org/the-pedestrian-rules/

>Under the act, a driver must do so if the pedestrian: 1. is within any portion of the crosswalk; 2. steps to the curb at a crosswalk’s entrance and indicates intent to cross the road by raising his or her hand and arm toward oncoming traffic;

−4

Prestigious_Bobcat29 t1_j268wto wrote

Yes, thank you for providing further reference that peds have the right of way. I hope going forward now you join the fraction of drivers that actually obey traffic law. Or at least keep your eyes off your phone long enough to see the person

[deleted] t1_j27qz7n wrote

> 2. steps to the curb at a crosswalk’s entrance and indicates intent to cross the road by raising his or her hand and arm toward oncoming traffic;

Read slowly so you don't hurt yourself. You cannot just wander across the road, even in a crosswalk.

Prestigious_Bobcat29 t1_j28bted wrote

I bet you’re as good at mowing down pedestrians as you are strawmen.

But, what point are you even trying to make with this one? That people are flinging themselves into the street at the last second as a car is speeding towards them? Maybe it’s worth taking a step back and ask why you’re not being taken seriously?

Go to any city or town center and spend an hour watching the intersections if you want a handle on the actual behavior here. Cars rarely stop for someone with their hand up at an intersection. Speeding on commercial and residential streets is as ubiquitous as it is everywhere. Distracted driving is rampant and not at all equivalent to someone walking on their phone. If you think the problem is people diving into the street at the very last second as a car is coming you’re living in a fantasy bubble.

OpelSmith t1_j25ep12 wrote

How about stfu son

[deleted] t1_j25v5wf wrote

Go cross the street without looking

−2

OpelSmith t1_j25vpv2 wrote

I will, because it's your responsibility to be responsive to unplanned events when operating the 2 ton steel box

Nyrfan2017 t1_j25ex3j wrote

Also even with crosswalk laws . Your taught as kid to look both ways may sure cars are stopping

Professor_Rekt t1_j26cnxh wrote

Or maybe people should get off their phones and stop being distracted drivers/driving impaired. I obeyed all traffic laws and still got run over by a jeep like a fucking dog in the street.