Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tidymaze t1_j1yzaky wrote

I'm more of an opponent of billion-dollar hedge funds/venture capital firms buying out media companies and then forcing them to follow their "philosophies". See: Sinclair Media

Also, $308MM in revenue is hardly struggling. And thanks for the Forbes link, which is also behind a paywall. Or they want me to create an account, which they will then sell the information from to anyone who pays their asking fee. Remember, if it's free, you're the product.

https://www.zoominfo.com/c/tribune-publishing-company-llc/146309212

thethurstonhowell t1_j1z7nho wrote

Imagine describing Alden Global Capital as a little old company just trying to pay their employees!

Literally laughable after what they did to the Courant.

AtomWorker t1_j1zc99d wrote

I hope you realize that $308 million is gross, not net profit. They posted a $27 million profit in 2021 and that's only because of cuts. The past decade every other year has seen net profit struggle to break a half percent and that's when they didn't lose money outright.

I hate ad banners and pay walls with a passion; I always run ad blockers and use 12ft.io where possible. The internet killed newspapers and we're all complicit. Consumers expect everything on the internet to be free.

−1