Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PettyWitch t1_j0uqtca wrote

My husband is a Peruvian immigrant and doesn't care, he says this is business as usual in Peru.

BeenBanned69Times t1_j0wutr5 wrote

OP asked the opinion of Peruvians about the situation in Peru and you we attacked for sharing the opinion of your Peruvian husband lol some people

IndicationOver t1_j0uxb6r wrote

Americans among tourists trapped at Machu Picchu by Peru protests

Can you ask your husband what the fuck is he talking about for me? Thanks in advance.

−32

PettyWitch t1_j0v0u0j wrote

Yeah my husband grew up with the terrorism and civil war in the 90s. His friend didn't make it home from school one day, was kidnapped and shot. They used to put the kids up in helicoptors and show them how to handle machine guns. His dad's coffee business was bombed. He saw live beheadings.

Every person who has ever asked him if they should go to Peru for vacation, he says no. Don't go. He won't even go back on vacation or to visit family. I think most Peruvians who have left wouldn't go back.

If you go to Peru you are either ignorant or accept the risks. If by this comment you actually think my husband is going to say "oh no, those poor naive middle class American tourists!!!" who ended up in this situation because they wanted to go on a vacation to a place that is so volatile they get a new president every year for the last 10 years... you're wrong.

Pseudo_Punk t1_j0vh705 wrote

Well said.

IndicationOver t1_j0wbjqm wrote

Well said for someone who can't think for themselves. Her husband might as well call his native land a shit hole contract to put the cherry on top.

​

I can think of many countries outside US ppl should not visit if that is a logic to go with, "business as usual"

−20

shoeshouuu t1_j0wbw3l wrote

Are you talking about in the present or before? Peru has been becoming a underrated tourist spot in the past recent years. And I have gone several times before. Being a Peruvian myself I can say there are problems there with corruption but most Peruvians I've talked too and non Peruvian visitors have said they loved their time there. It isn't the 90s anymore. The 90s we're around 30 years ago. Right now though maybe a bad time to go unfortunately.

PettyWitch t1_j0wdr23 wrote

Peru had some good times for visitors, especially around 10 years ago, agreed. We went briefly. But as far as I know my husband hasn't thought it's been a good time to go now since Covid. He follows the news there every day and I know for the last year or two has been talking all the time about how the shit is gonna hit the fan.

shoeshouuu t1_j0wii2d wrote

Yes, before COVID is nice. But now with the protest it's a bad time. But besides that the country is very nice as long as you don't act foolish in the streets. I think your husband has a bad view on based on 30 years ago and I believe that's very unfair to the nation. And it pains me to see that way you described it here in such a bad light and how a good amount of people upvotes especially when I know the majority doesn't know a thing about Peru.... Now when they think of Peru they will refer to you comment... It's very disappointing. The media all over the world promotes negativity in each country. That's how they gain views. I encourage you to talk to you husband to reconnect with the culture and see how far it has come since the last 3 decades. Peru is just now becoming a country of notice around the world and negative press to the unknowing people only hurts the developing nation.

Walmart_Prices t1_j0weqkb wrote

Seems like tales from your husband and nothing you have seen or experienced personal. My girlfriend family says the opposite of what your saying. They go frequently with no problem and she has also I’m sure she would of said otherwise. Everyone has a different experience don’t be pushing that negative narrative on a beautiful place which I had the pleasure of visiting two years ago. Be humble and respectful where ever you step and enjoy.

−2

PettyWitch t1_j0wh9lm wrote

No of course I haven't experienced it personally. We went to visit in 2015 and it was lovely, a lot of poverty but a lot of great food and the jungle was awesome. I don't know how old your girlfriend is or where she lived during the 90s - my husband lived in Satipo in the jungle as a kid with his family. He has a lot of good memories but unfortunately living through the terrorism as a kid sort of destroyed his family and probably his trust in Peru. They first fled to Canada as refugees and lost everything in the process. The family has a lot of trauma stemming from this. So this probably colors his vision of Peru.

However I will say that when we went to Peru we didn't stay in the touristy areas. If you only stay in the touristy areas, it looks quite nice. If you go to the miles of shantytowns outside Lima it doesn't.

[deleted] t1_j0v7bt5 wrote

[deleted]

−3

PettyWitch t1_j0v9cva wrote

Really, what is he supposed to do? How is he supposed to help them? Not everyone comes from a culture where you pretend to care about all the suffering in the world meanwhile you have 4 scheduled deliveries coming from Amazon with crap made in 3rd world countries in any given week.

JMyco927 t1_j0v9cdc wrote

That’s what you got out of the response?

IndicationOver t1_j0wajeh wrote

That is cool, your husband has an opinion but violent uprising against government is never "business as usual" that is why it is national headlines.

So no I completely disagree you are bias since it is your husband which is cool.

With that logic it would be scary to visit any country.

Don't visit America look what happen Jan 6, just business as usual.

Peru is literally a tourist bucket list for 7 wonders of the world

−8

coolducklingcool t1_j0wbaaf wrote

OP asked the opinion of Peruvians in America. She gave her husband’s perspective. No need to go off on her about it. She was answering the question.

Time_Yam301 t1_j0wmjez wrote

Wait a second, you are:

1. Mistakenly thinking that mass media is an authority?

2. Incorrectly believing that violent protests are a rarity in the world but especially South America?

3. Conflating this woman's pretty detailed account of her husband's sentiment to a Trump rioter's?

4. A country's status as a "wonder of the world" means it is peaceful?

That is not rational.

shoeshouuu t1_j0wc4ad wrote

That's what I'm saying lmao. And there is absolutely no way all those upvotes are Peruvians also. Just ignorant sheep. I've been several times and always had a beautiful time there but of course take proper caution like all other developing nations