Submitted by ItalianResearcher t3_10hs0q9 in Connecticut

Hello everyone, I just arrived in CT (New Haven) from Europe and I need to buy a car. On Monday I will go to the SSA office to apply for a SSN (just received all documents).

I need absolutely to buy a car, I have an international driving permit but not a STATE ID or CT driving license (the process obtaining one or the other will require more than a month if you also consider the 7-14 days from SSN application to receiving the card via mail).

I have read on the DMV website that a licensed car dealer can register the car in your name (tried to call dmv but no answer), but this mean that even without a state ID (but passport with visa, etc) the dealer can register the car?

Can you help me because I need to buy a car ASAP.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

_3iT-6gY t1_j5a1iwq wrote

Buying/Owning a car is separate from being able to legally drive the car.

Work with the dealer to understand their needs. Have your passport with you.

ItalianResearcher OP t1_j5a1p4e wrote

I should be able to drive the car with my international driving license but not to buy it. You suggestion is to go to a dealer and speak with them?

sconzey t1_j5a6vcb wrote

Hi OP. I moved to Connecticut from the U.K. last year. I can drive on my U.K. license for a year, but I needed an SSN to buy a car because I wanted to get it on finance. With only passport and U.K. license the NY-based dealership were able to give me a temporary NY registration to drive the car out of the dealership, but for my Connecticut registration I needed to send a photo of my state learner driver permit.

Now the dealership I was working with was particularly incompetent, so it’s possible this isn’t the case. You should visit a dealership in Connecticut and speak with them, as they will definitely know.

I do recommend getting your state learners permit sooner rather than later however. I genuinely learned a lot about Connecticut road signs and markings, rights of way etc. that are slightly different to the U.K.

It’s not hard, but you do need to study to pass the test. The hard part for you (as it was for me!) as a recent arrival will be getting two pieces of mail with your name and a Connecticut address on it.

Good luck OP, and welcome to Connecticut!

WonderChopstix t1_j5a3hin wrote

I would look into a month long car rental with someone like enterprise ASAP if you need a vehicle. Not 100 % sure but I think you're going to have some hurdles here. You may have to take a driver's course ... you'll need documentation to prove residency which you may need a month to collect etc.

Not sure but you could ask Dealer if a lease option could be faster but I doubt it.

Either way call the DMV to make sure you're clear on rules to get your license and sign up for that course asap if you need it because it could take time to find one.

DP23-25 t1_j5a7kdh wrote

If you’re buying a new car then you can go to the near car dealership. If buying an used, find a car using apps like, carfax, carguru, iseecars, etc.

MTGBruhs t1_j5axl49 wrote

You'll need a TIN or a SSN to get a car. Once you have the number you can start the process. You'll also need to take inot account the status of your visa (they wont give you a four year loan on a 3 year visa)