Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Whydoyouhatefreedom t1_j6oprra wrote

God damn what fucking shit hole nanny state this place is becoming. I remember being 10 years old and riding my bike to the center of town to get cookies from the bakery and baseball cards next door.

GadgetKen t1_j6orec0 wrote

In my case, we lived in West Hartford on the Bloomfield border, and I rode my bike to Bishop's Corner or West Hartford center. Pharmacy newsstands and candy aisles, radio shack, toy stores, Lafayette, book stores, children's museum, town parks, libraries. That was decades ago, and things have changed, but I find this story sort of bizarre.

AvogadrosMoleSauce t1_j6pfbie wrote

Heck, growing up in Berlin I was just in trouble if I wasn’t back before dinner without notice. I’m not sure my parents knew where I was on most days, although they probably could have found out with a few phone calls.

smkmn13 t1_j6ovogb wrote

I'd like to read a news story about this that isn't written by someone who heads a nonprofit specifically designed to support the "Free Range Kids" movement, but this story sounds really, really stupid and both the cops and social workers look really, really bad. Yikes.

fadinglucidity t1_j6ovo6p wrote

wow i just finished watching the netflix show "old enough!" where japanese parents send their young children to the grocery store, marketplace, school, etc.

IndigoGrunt t1_j6ox627 wrote

I just came back from Korea and was shocked that kids were taking the bus alone and walking around the city. Every kid has their own cell phone to reach parents and yet somehow are all very well behaved.

kesagatame-and-Chill t1_j6omssb wrote

They should have driven them to DnD with an open container.

The one thing about this state I find strange is how boarded up all the kids are. In NY, our kids were running around the neighborhood all the time. Here, our neighbors are always "worried" that we let our kids out too much. They only interact with other kids at activities, and they miss hanging out in the neighborhood with others.

Ayatollah-X t1_j6p6zu1 wrote

I don't think there's any NY/CT difference, I've lived all over the Tri-State Area, and it really varies from town to town, and even within towns/neighborhoods.

iwantitthatway6 t1_j6op04y wrote

Huh I didn’t even know we had a town called Killington

twicelife_real t1_j6ou387 wrote

OP meant Killingly. The same town that recently tried to change the name of their sports teams from “Redmen” to “Red Hawks”, but then the town voted out the school board members and elected several republicans that only ran on the platform of overturning the name change vote. Now they will keep the Redmen name for their teams, but will lose $94k a year in funding from the Pequot/Mohegan tribes.

Lou666Minatti t1_j6ox6d7 wrote

lmao this was the outcome of that shit show!?

thesbaine t1_j6p0sgh wrote

Yup, but what do you expect from a town where it's residents are that fucking invested in a high school team name.

AvogadrosMoleSauce t1_j6pfirc wrote

Not only that, but one of the Republicans elected was literally an officer in an SPLC designated hate group.

Bust_A_Nutmeg t1_j6pj1zw wrote

Too bad because geographically Killingly isn’t so bad. Sucks it’s such a shithole

yzedf t1_j6phzsr wrote

Yeah I’m going to need to see the receipts on this. Also a reminder that the police are allowed to lie their asses off to you. As of today there are 5 registered sex offenders in Killingly.

hard-time-on-planet t1_j6p52g8 wrote

> It was Super Bowl Sunday in February 2019. Cynthia Rivers and her husband decided that their kids, ages seven and nine, deserved a long-promised treat for cleaning their rooms: the right to walk to Dunkin' Donuts by themselves. (Reason has changed her name to protect the family's anonymity.)

I didn't read that last sentence at first and was trying to search for this story in other news sources but kinda hard when I don't have the name of the person.

> The officers also claimed that they had received a dozen 911 calls about the kids during the short time they were gone. Rivers thought this was unlikely, as they had only made it past four other homes

Yes it is hard to believe but not in the way Rivers is saying. Seems like there is more to this story they aren't telling us.

tonysnight t1_j6ow9tc wrote

Uh I vividly remember biking and or walking everywhere back at that age. Ridgefield biking from the fox hill condos where my family lived to like the gas stations or pizza hut... And I wasnt that much if a bike rider either. You just sort of did it. Traffic isn't that difficult to avoid. No one batted an eye and this was like 1999 or 2000 something like that. Not THAT long ago. What the hell is going on with that town. Fairfield county is just kids allowed to be kids what the hell is up with killingly

ebpizza t1_j6p5guy wrote

February 2019? How is this news? The article is poorly written and the entire website seems to consist of similar anger stoking non-news.

Ravac67 t1_j6ou9md wrote

In kindergarten, I often walked the half mile to North Street School (Windsor Locks) and back.

When my folks moved to South Windsor, once I hit 10 years old, I had about a 5 mile radius I was allowed to ride my bike in. Included TE middle school and Caldor plaza on Tolland Tpk.

This was when Janice Pockett was still talked about in hushed whispers.

Kodiak01 OP t1_j6ovwt0 wrote

I grew up in the suburbs of Western MA.

In 1980 at 5 years old, I was walking 5 blocks to school and back.

By 1983, after school I was walking 2+ miles in the OTHER direction after school to one of my parent's businesses, which included traversing the center of a town of ~25k people.

1984, I was riding my bike 2.5 miles to my little league game, another 2.5mi afterward to get ice cream with the team, and ANOTHER 2.5mi after that to get home, usually well after dark on a BMX bike with no lights and no helmet. The 2nd and 3rd legs had to go through the center of town as well.

By the time high school rolled around, instead of taking the bus I would bike 7 miles to school in a neighboring town, followed by another 2.5mi after school to the other parent's business to work. Bike would then be tossed in the back of the van for the ride home. It was also nothing to take 15-20 mile rides without a second thought.

daveashaw t1_j6pjeya wrote

Isn't this from 2019?