Submitted by Money_Whisperer t3_11dq8lj in Connecticut

Hi all,

So my dad just quit his job this month and we have applied for social security for him. Unfortunately, he's only 63 and so he's gonna have to go a couple of years here with no health insurance before he can get Medicare. He's not gonna be making much money from now to then (around 15k from social security a year) and so I'm trying to find him something for health insurance for this interim window.

Can anyone here speak to my options for what to try and get him set up with health insurance for these next 2 years?

Appreciate your time.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

auditorygraffiti t1_jaa6ghr wrote

The marketplace is going to be his best, and possibly only, option unless his income is low enough for him to qualify for Medicaid.

AndiLivia t1_jaa9udk wrote

Try medicaid. Medicaid in ct is really good.

Here is a website that can help you see if you qualify. I recommend you call them on the phone and talk to someone so they can help figure out if your situation qualifies.

https://www.accesshealthct.com/

Also try calling 211 to see if they can help you if access health can't.

Money_Whisperer OP t1_jaaanks wrote

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the link and for the information. I'll give them a call.

asspirate420 t1_jacwpmf wrote

It’s real easy to qualify for husky health, check that out first

nutmegger2020 t1_jaa9hlg wrote

Medicaid and contribute to an IRA to reduce MAGI if needed.

Money_Whisperer OP t1_jaab6pg wrote

That's a very interesting proposal. Thank you. That way he gets his money back when he turns 65 anyway. Thank you.

nutmegger2020 t1_jaaiwbn wrote

Your most WC. I'M in the same boat. I had to resign due to my back and am scheduled for surgery in May.

Money_Whisperer OP t1_jaabk0r wrote

One followup on this if you don't mind. So he made around 50k last year. This year he's gonna be looking at like 16k max. Will they go off of last year's income in this case?

nutmegger2020 t1_jaaj6cw wrote

I think its projected income yearly if under the FPL or monthly if not under a certain FPL level. . Also, are we not still in a state of emergency were anyone can go on medicaid ? I wondering about that too.

Money_Whisperer OP t1_jaav00x wrote

Yeah ill have to do a little research it sounds like. But definitely some good ideas there. Appreciate it.