Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PaulterJ t1_j853gy4 wrote

Love fishing. Lots of places to go. Salt or freshwater?
What part of the state are u in? DEEP website has lots of info on where to go how to fish etc. Also license sales.

Please don't litter and abuse our habitat.

dietchaos t1_j8577uf wrote

You will find a better deal on a starter setup at Cabela's vs Amazon. For 35 bucks you can get a rod, reel, and basic tackle. While you are there you can get licenced at customer service. I would say get an all waters licence so you can fish freshwater and saltwater. Get a setup now and start practicing casting in your yard or a park with a weight on the end. It will be a lot less frustrating learning how to cast and retrieve without other people and trees to get tangled up in.

mischavus618 t1_j865mg3 wrote

All waters license is $32 unless you’re 65 yr old/older. $5 for a trout/salmon stamp.

asspirate420 t1_j8bwrnl wrote

Honestly walmart is great for stuff too. I recommend getting a separate rod and a separate reel as you’ll get much better components than buying a kit, but the kits work great too.

casting in the grass with one of those little rubber weights is so fun and calming

Toroceratops t1_j85n6ha wrote

I’m a fly fisher and the West Bank of the Farmington River, around New Hartford and north is some of the best fly fishing in the region.

WTF_is_a_TruckBoat t1_j88ewv0 wrote

No one fishes in CT. No good spots anywhere. Fish don't even come here.

WonderChopstix t1_j8562ok wrote

I highly recommend booking a trip off long Island sound. Great fishing . Try the Blackhawk

Hey-buuuddy t1_j85s6y5 wrote

Check out ctfisherman.com

Pelagicfisherman t1_j85wdf1 wrote

Great place to meet people and fishing buddies to split expenses with on trips. Well worth the $15 a year membership

speel t1_j857jw0 wrote

I see a lot of people fishing by st Mary's in blackrock.

tidymaze t1_j85z02w wrote

That's been a popular spot forever. I remember going there with my grandfather 40 years ago.

tobiasrfunke t1_j85b5i6 wrote

I'm normally ice fishing now, but... yeah.. Managed to go last weekend in Goshen.

In the spring I break out my fishing kayak. There are a number of lakes and ponds worth checking out. Candlewood is a premier bass fishery. Can also do some great inshore fishing in the Sound. CT river also has great variety with striper and shad runs.

Immediate_Freedom918 t1_j85c160 wrote

For me to know and you to find out

trickniner t1_j85oi4v wrote

Yes, I always find the best way to welcome someone into my hobby is to keep information from them so as to not ruin my own experience.

Viceversa10 t1_j86604y wrote

There are so little good clean fishing spots left, so once you find one you don't let it get out unless you want it covered in litter and full of people illegally keeping fish

neermif t1_j85jwmf wrote

Spring and fall trout stocking statewide. Hit the rivers when it gets warmer. You can also check on the DEEP website of where they stock. If you type in like 2023 trout stocking ct in google it’ll come up

JasJoeGo t1_j86nzj0 wrote

State of CT runs “trout parks”, which are designed to give people without boats access to easy fishing. Great program.

greenbeanz687 t1_j85b55f wrote

You can go fishing by the Stevenson dam. Sometimes you get lucky and see eagles flying over the river! Saw one glide on the river while my husband and I were fishing with some of his friends.

BritishBuckwheat t1_j85utrt wrote

Depends on the type of fishing. I’m a fishing guy and we have very nice trout and salmon parks rivers streams ponds all that. We have a huge stocking program for all types of fish so take part. For salt everywhere is good. Any body of saltwater in Connecticut will most likely have porgies really tasty and fun to catch. Also competive fish like bluefish and strippers are fun to catch but are tricky. Hope this helps feel free to ask more questions here!

ctusa73 t1_j866rw3 wrote

Get that book or pdf, read it through. It mentions nice public access places, boat rental and launches. Also limits on howmuch you should consume. Snappers are fun. But that is an August thing. Trout are stocked for the start of the season.. best tasting fish are often right at the low end of the size limit. Also seek out small boat and bait shops they are knowledgeable. I mean cabelas and bass pro are great. But with Walmart they killed the small bait shops. You can probably get a starter pole and a gold phoebe and catch trout on opening day, for less than$20 that's where most kids start

weaselpoopcoffee1 t1_j86dlgb wrote

A friend of mine does fishing tournaments at Candlewood Lake.

VanPattensCard t1_j86l6qw wrote

The CT river itself is a blast, the Farmington is great. Tons of great little ponds all around.

VancouverMethCoyote t1_j86x2g2 wrote

Grew up in CT, I kayak fished a ton in the state. Really loved Mashapaug Lake at Bigelow Hollow State Park. Also did Mansfield Hollow, Pachaug Pond, Lake McDonough, and Bantam Lake quite a bit

Also chartered boats for deep sea fishing, but it wasn't often as it's expensive. But fun for a treat! Went after striped bass

Pancrat t1_j8762bt wrote

I just fish out of the river. People probably won’t give their spots away

Last-Instruction739 t1_j87ipd1 wrote

Connecticut is one of the best places you will find to fish. We have the sound, warm inland water environments in our lakes and ponds and cold inland water environments in many of our streams and highland lakes.

So the first question is what you want to fish for because we have a bit of everything here.

ricnyse t1_j8973zy wrote

If you can get a license for it. Pitch res is incredible

glenncest t1_j8abepx wrote

We always took our family boat down on the Connecticut River closer to the East Haddam/Portland area, but depends on what fish you’re looking to catch.

asspirate420 t1_j8bwyc5 wrote

get the all waters license and head to any reservoir, lake, river, or ocean near you.

be prepared to not catch anything, but that’s okay. just casting and reeling in itself is so therapeutic.

it makes every little nibble and, luckily, a catch, that more meaningful.