Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

age34act12 t1_jdfvvna wrote

Half inch concrete board Durock with thinset then floating floors will be really close to the mark.

fangelo2 t1_jdg9fpx wrote

This would be much better than plywood which would be hard to fasten and keep flat.

philosoph0r t1_jdh1r5v wrote

Thats why you frame up off existing for new sheathing

−8

Martian_Xenophile t1_jdi5tem wrote

But that’s quite a bit more time, labor, and money, for a less stable floor.

philosoph0r t1_jdicksy wrote

Less stable? You know how to frame? Lol. Theyll be tying into existing supports. Nothings compromised

−6

Martian_Xenophile t1_jdkibh9 wrote

The existing floor is concrete, what supports? It’s a porch floor to be raised an inch. There’s not even a half inch of space for new supports under the sheathing. It makes no sense at all to frame and sheath a floor like that.

philosoph0r t1_jdldjjz wrote

So you tie into the concrete with anchors? Act like youve done this before. Considering its only an inch or whatever furring strips should do just fine

Martian_Xenophile t1_jdm5lwv wrote

Buy why would you go through that trouble unless you don’t know concrete and only know framing? I see no benefit. It’s not cheaper, nor quicker, nor easier. I suppose if you have physical issues lifting heavy durock and mortar bags, you might prefer working with lighter wood, or possibly you know a way to cheap out on it, but to me it’s not sensible. What I believe is the case, is that a framer wants the opportunity to flaunt their skills, having only a hammer and seeing all problems as nails.

dmethvin t1_jdh92z3 wrote

My preferred solution for the underlayment as well. From there you could put Ditra and a heated tile floor in, which is so nice to take off the chill.

unseen0000 t1_jdjgcn5 wrote

> floating floors

sorry to come in between. But what do you mean by a floating floor?

VanCityGuy604 t1_jdjko62 wrote

Floating refers to the flooring material not being glued or nailed down

unseen0000 t1_jdjla0o wrote

gotcha, ty!
What's the benefit of doing so compared to glueing / nailing it down?

lejohanofNWC t1_jdjqjqo wrote

I may be wrong but part of it is that it’s super easy to install. You cut stuff to size and snap it together and you’re good. One benefit might be that not gluing or nailing gives the flooring material the ability to expand and contract without buckling (which is why you leave a gap at the edge of the room).

KB-say t1_jdk4vrm wrote

You’re not wrong 😊

lejohanofNWC t1_jdkjawt wrote

Oh that’s good, I’m going to install some floating floors for the first time this weekend so at least I’ve got those points down hahah.

codenoggin OP t1_jdnwjxa wrote

This sounds like the way to go, thank you so much for the suggestion! Going to look into this more.