Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fangelo2 t1_jdg9fpx wrote

This would be much better than plywood which would be hard to fasten and keep flat.

philosoph0r t1_jdh1r5v wrote

Thats why you frame up off existing for new sheathing

−8

Martian_Xenophile t1_jdi5tem wrote

But that’s quite a bit more time, labor, and money, for a less stable floor.

philosoph0r t1_jdicksy wrote

Less stable? You know how to frame? Lol. Theyll be tying into existing supports. Nothings compromised

−6

Martian_Xenophile t1_jdkibh9 wrote

The existing floor is concrete, what supports? It’s a porch floor to be raised an inch. There’s not even a half inch of space for new supports under the sheathing. It makes no sense at all to frame and sheath a floor like that.

philosoph0r t1_jdldjjz wrote

So you tie into the concrete with anchors? Act like youve done this before. Considering its only an inch or whatever furring strips should do just fine

Martian_Xenophile t1_jdm5lwv wrote

Buy why would you go through that trouble unless you don’t know concrete and only know framing? I see no benefit. It’s not cheaper, nor quicker, nor easier. I suppose if you have physical issues lifting heavy durock and mortar bags, you might prefer working with lighter wood, or possibly you know a way to cheap out on it, but to me it’s not sensible. What I believe is the case, is that a framer wants the opportunity to flaunt their skills, having only a hammer and seeing all problems as nails.