Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MyMomSaysIAmCool t1_jdqybaa wrote

Leave the gap and put an outlet down below it. Anything electric can be plugged in down there and the cord can dangle into the gap, leaving the counter nice and clean.

GregoYatzee t1_jdssllk wrote

I believe code is for bath outlets to be above when a certain distance from sink for safety.

MyMomSaysIAmCool t1_je0nj84 wrote

I did some googling, and I didn't find anything prohibiting it. There's a discussion here about the subject, and the general consensus is "If it's GFI protected, go for it"

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/receptacle-under-bathroom-sink.10358/

A lot of kitchen sinks have outlets and switches underneath to operate the garbage disposals. So I think it'll be OK.

I'm not an electrician, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I'd be comfortable with it in my home. I'd use a GFI outlet (or two in series for extra safety) and position the outlet box where it won't get soaked if the sink overflows. For extra points I could use an outdoor rated box. But that feels like overkill to me.

hnrsn14 t1_jds90k0 wrote

Good thought but a 1” gap is not big enough to fit a hand. The outlet would have to be right at the front or else it would be functionally useless.

MyMomSaysIAmCool t1_jdsnixu wrote

The outlet could be in the cabinet below. You'd just need enough room to snake the cord down into the cabinet. Make sure that you can fit a bulky plug, like the ones on hairdryers.