Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

guest13 t1_jdvdd30 wrote

This looks really great. The only thing I think would bug me, is if I were lying in that bed, tried to check my phone in the end-nook, and bam sheet of plywood in my way.

Not that I have an idea of how to correct for that issue, but I feel like it'd drive me nuts.

dh126 OP t1_jdvegtk wrote

So that’s actually why I put the drawer pullouts in, I extended the surface with the aim of giving a spot for your phone but “buried” in the cubby

LadyAsharaRowan t1_jdvcnk9 wrote

Nice! I want to take the regular bed out of my spare bedroom and put a Murphy bed up. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now but just haven't done it.

COSenna t1_jdvbn0y wrote

I’m planning on doing something extremely similar in my master. Already have the plans and 3D model. Biggest difference is it won’t be a Murphy.

I was wonder the best way to paint. Was considering taking it apart once assembled but that sounds like a massive pain. I think prepping the room is the way to go.

Not_an_okama t1_jdvnsfg wrote

For the best finish I would recommend spraying the pieces disassembled. You can rent a sprayer from most sherwin Williams stores for ~$50/day.

I’d recommend starting with a primer made for wood and top coat using a trim/cabinet paint like sherwin Williams emerald urethane or proclassic. Normal wall paint will be susceptible to chipping and discoloration in areas you touch often.

If you don’t want to spray, I’d still recommend painting disassembled and use the smallest nap roller you can find.

DrBix t1_jdvtgjd wrote

Do you have plans for this?

dh126 OP t1_jdvul7g wrote

Easydiymurphybed.com comes with plans for the basic bed, and then I obviously designed well beyond from there. I do not have well documented plans

RedditWhileImWorking t1_jdv7cc2 wrote

Fabulous job. I would love to do this in our half-finished basement. We moved and have a spare mattress but it'd be odd to have a random bed next to the pool table. Not so odd if it's for a guest.

bcvickers t1_jdvqrke wrote

Very nice work! I'm curious as to what you use the room/space for when the bed is folded up and hidden? I've got a space that seems to scream for a Murphy bed but I'm not sure if it's worth it just to have a big empty spot in the middle of the room 80% of the time.

dh126 OP t1_jdvr090 wrote

It’s in our pool house so the extra space is nice for getting young kids into swim clothes and also is used as a workout area

I_am_Bob t1_jdw52ww wrote

Nice, we built one with that same kit. But I have to say your final product looks a little nicer than ours.

Jparker010 t1_jdwc2db wrote

I think we bought the same kit! My wife and i put it together and i built diferent sides.... small sliding barn doors and stain instead of paint.

grrblrr t1_jdwpcqt wrote

Would love to see what you did for yours!

grrblrr t1_jdwqzn6 wrote

Just gave me the necessary ganas to do this on my own. Thanks!

diyjunkiehq t1_je6rzyi wrote

how could you paint over her drawing?! That was the masterpiece!