Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

buildyourown t1_jd4t9hh wrote

The voltage is the same even if Milwaukee is labeled as 18v and DeWalt says 20v. Lithium batteries are all 3.6v. 3.6 x 5 =18

ndvi t1_jd4w4bd wrote

See also that the DeWalt 20v XR tools sold in North America are identical to the 18v XR tools sold in Europe.

Syndicofberyl t1_jd4qa90 wrote

If the voltage output is identical it should be fine, don't count on getting any warranty help tho

HiE7q4mT t1_jd4rful wrote

To add: if the voltage is lower, the tool will perform worse, and if the voltage is higher, it might work fine, might damage the tool right away, or might work fine but make the tool overheat prematurely.

UtetopiaSS t1_jd4qe9q wrote

Buy combo kits that come with the battery and chargers.

ObligatoryOption t1_jd4s687 wrote

I've just bought a couple of non-Milwaukee replacements for my 12v tools online. Cheaper, higher capacity, and they're working just fine so far. I can't speak for the 18v alternatives; maybe someone else has tried them.

madsci t1_jd5gzm9 wrote

I've had some off-brand M12 batteries stop charging after a while - they make the charger flash an error. I haven't bought any aftermarket M18s.

ObligatoryOption t1_jd5ixxg wrote

Duds are sold too, I'm sure. At work, we use Makitas with off-brand batteries; no problem with those.

ndvi t1_jd4wfmo wrote

Be aware that the battery protection circuit in the DeWalt system is in the tools, not the battery so make sure the adaptor has the protection circuit.

Ok-Apricot-3156 t1_jd4x5j1 wrote

If voltage and type of battery cel (like lithium-ion or NiCd) it should work

Belnak t1_jd4zv2c wrote

Be sure you're comparing like for like. At Home Depot right now, 2 3.0ah Milwaukee M18 batteries are $179 ($149 on sale) and 2 3.0ah Dewalt 20v max are $189.

Deskco492 t1_jd50fba wrote

batteries should be similar prices. right now amazon has the Milwaukee 5ah for 66 and dewalt 5ah for 73.

with a bit of patience, both can be had for $50-60 (I havent seen $50 since covid/inflation, but people still say $10/ah is the target, though I think thats in the past).

anyway, point is, the cost and hassle of the adaptor would definitely keep me using milwaukee batteries if I had Milwaukee tools.

Whatwhenwherehi t1_jd57gtg wrote

50 dollars for a small battery is insane.

−1

sti-wrx t1_jd5aptv wrote

Is an 18v 5ah battery small?

It’s the largest I have ever used in 6 years in a trade as a journeyman. If a 5ah can’t handle it, we use a corded tool with generator.

Whatwhenwherehi t1_jd5c2yj wrote

Inside there is less battery than most laptops.

It's a scam. Buy a generator and some corded and move on.

−5

Deskco492 t1_jd69noo wrote

what do you base that on? can you list any other 5cell 5aH batteries for significantly less? I do some RC stuff, and a turnigy battery is $50 on the dot. but its got no battery gauge, not armored in a plastic case, just a xt connector.

There are knockoff batteries of course, which are half the price, but based on performance and teardowns, none are as advertised.

the 60v flex volt stuff... now THATS expensive.

Whatwhenwherehi t1_jd6hrrx wrote

You're not hearing me. Battery operated drills/tools are a scam.

Deskco492 t1_jdb6y8s wrote

oh... you must just not do much work...

battery powered power tools are a godsend for working quickly without dragging extension cords around. The $120 investment into 2 batteries is inconsequential to thousands of dollars of power tools.

Whatwhenwherehi t1_jdcnyb5 wrote

I rebuild and remodel RVs on the side, build fences, work on assorted motor vehicles,bdo majority of home repair...and a number of other tool related activities.

I buy the lowest cost battery Ryobi, and a proper actual electric drill.

Because every so often a 20 dollar Ryobi is needed but it's exceedingly rare.

I too used to think cordless mad me a better carpenter too.

Deskco492 t1_jdd5uh4 wrote

thinking your a carpenter and all you use is a drill...

I never said it made you better, again... betraying your experience, I said it saved time. anyone who works for profit knows time is everything.

Whatwhenwherehi t1_jdfnof5 wrote

You took one and conflated it to another. See the entire message and use some comprehension skills and you'll see why you look like a fool right now...

JamaniWasimamizi t1_jd59jqr wrote

Or you could just… you know… buy the DeWalt tools instead…

Guygan t1_jd5giv9 wrote

Your submission has been removed for one or more of the following reason(s):

• Your question does not include the research you've done to find an answer yourself, or why that research didn't answer your question.

This is a basic requirement so others do not spend time repeating your steps. It is not a judgement about your question being "too easy." We're looking for evidence that you've made an attempt yourself.

• Please do not use /r/DIY as your first stop for questions - we are not Google.

• Please search Google and /r/DIY to see if your question has been asked before. Check owners manuals, tech support forums or contact the manufacturer.

• Have you already done some basic research and are still stuck?

• Please include what research you have done in your question so that others do not repeat your steps.

• Consider posting your question in the sticky thread at the top of the subreddit.

• Ask your question in our Discord server in the appropriate channel.

Please read our Full Sub Rules before resubmitting.

If you believe this was a mistake, please message the moderators.

###Do not respond to this comment - you will not receive a response.