Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PLZ_STOP_PMING_TITS t1_jcpntx1 wrote

I've had experience with white lithium since I was 10 years old. I'm over 40 now. I've used it at home and at work. After 5 or so years the stuff is dry and crumbly and sticky. I still have to clean this crap out and relubricate parts at work once in a while because they used it for a few years, as they didn't believe me when I told them not to use it.

Walkop t1_jcpqmhl wrote

Spray or paste? Very different stuff. The spray is already pretty dry when it comes out.

PLZ_STOP_PMING_TITS t1_jcpvqmo wrote

Most of my experience is with the spray stuff, from many manufacturers. I'm not sure if I've used non-spray stuff.

Walkop t1_jcq6lof wrote

The actual lithium grease is the consistency of a soft butter. It's very... greasy, for lack of a better word. I doubt it would dry out. That's the stuff you want for lubricating things properly. The spray stuff is a stopgap or for lubricating really hard to reach areas, in my experience.

Most automotive greases for joints etc. are a lithium base if I'm not mistaken.

Jwarenzek t1_jcr11ir wrote

What is your recommendation for a lubricant that doesn’t drip, and picks up less dirt than a grease, and lasts longer?

PLZ_STOP_PMING_TITS t1_jcy5qid wrote

I'm not sure what the best for your garage door opener is. I don't have a garage door so I never researched it. I just know you don't want to use white lithium spray lubricant.