Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

prime-meridian t1_je55zh8 wrote

Check out the Schluter shower bench. Very simple and easy.

Shower Bench

LeatherDonkey140 t1_je59bmb wrote

I would agree, do the kerdi bench, and then wrap it with kerdi membrane onto pan and up walls a few inches….they make corners too..

Screamingcalvin t1_je5p0ox wrote

This is exactly what I used and my shower is that first picture. I installed it after the tile on the floor.

jaaassshhh OP t1_je57rx1 wrote

I think this would trap water underneath and lead to mold

−36

DutchMtl t1_je5hlc1 wrote

The bench is waterproof if done right. By your logic the bench you forgot to build would also trap water.

That being said, adding a teak wood bench is a no brainer in my opinion. That's what we put in our bathroom reno and in the end it very rarely ever gets used.

MoreFlyThanYou t1_je60j9e wrote

You're asking a question in DIY and when people give you a product literally designed to do the exact thing you're asking, you argue. 😅🤣

[deleted] t1_je5ndxe wrote

You think you know more than a prominent shower and tile company?

custhulard t1_je6nmox wrote

Someone on a jobsite gave me shit about measuring the water and using a timer on my phone to mix allset. I told them an engineer with a degree in mortar figured out the best way to mix this stuff, and when I do it exactly that way it comes out perfect.

I felt silly the first couple times I used a timer, but it actually doesn't look or feel right if I don't mix, slake and remix pretty close to the recommended times.

[deleted] t1_je6o425 wrote

Right? Some dude missed his kid's soccer game to keep working on mud formulations.

We should care about the pro's recommendations

flyize t1_je5e3ll wrote

I mean, if you've done it right, water shouldn't ever be where you don't want it.

Transient77 t1_je6j65j wrote

Maybe what you're missing is the Schluter Kerdi stuff is installed with Kerdi-band along all the seams. It's completely watertight. You can see the bands (pinkish strips) in the photo where the guy is laying tile.

mickeyt1 t1_je6m9az wrote

The example picture is almost certainly a Schluter bench

Mitoshi t1_je9b3yd wrote

Your rubber pan liner will create the issues. Schluter products are literally designed for this stuff. Rubber pan liner are outdated. I'm a pro tile setter. We haven't used rubber pans in almost 10 years. There are so many better modern methods of waterproofing.

Good luck though 👍🏻