Submitted by Electronic_Honeydew1 t3_121krtn in DIY

Renovated house 2 yrs ago. Did a lot of caulking / siliconing. Used well reviewed brands, followed instructions. Now pretty much all caulk has gone yellow / orange and cracked but the silicon looks great still. Need to do some more caulking thinking about just using silicon as it will get the sun. Interested to hear what others do and if caulk holds any advantage at all? Thanks

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Intelligent_Ebb4887 t1_jdm9h47 wrote

Most silicone isn't paintable, so you wouldn't want to use it in areas that would get painted at any point. If you're looking at exterior products, polyurethane caulk is a good option as well.

craigcoffman t1_jdm5uf2 wrote

Most caulks will do that if not painted. The siliconized stuff less so.

DipDoodle t1_jdnn8wj wrote

Most caulks bought at a home center, yes. Not all caulks though

imoutohere t1_jdmd42e wrote

There is a product called Quad. You can get it at big box stores. It isn’t very paintable. But you can groom it better than silicone. I would also recommend phenosil. My experience has been the clear caulking and silicone tend to yellow over time. But cracking after 2 yrs? That’s weird.

FirstForFun44 t1_jdmj9ld wrote

OSI Quad Max is my Frank's Red Hot. I put that shit on everything.

DipDoodle t1_jdn0ydn wrote

Not the best paintability and it loses its flexibility after a few years

Somepeopleskidslol t1_jdn1sio wrote

Volcom, it's like quad but printable oil based and I have seen it out of the weather where it's pliable after 15 plus years.

DipDoodle t1_jdn2bhq wrote

Vulkem is pretty good but it’s just a polyurethane, the UV kills this technology over time

Somepeopleskidslol t1_jdn2idr wrote

Hence why I said painted areas.

DipDoodle t1_jdn2qy7 wrote

Ehh also Vulkem is loaded with Plasticizers that leach out of it into your paint and fuck your paint job up as the material loses its flexibility.

Somepeopleskidslol t1_jdn2npr wrote

I guess I said printable. I wouldn't use it without painting it. But for painted areas it blows quad out of the water.

DipDoodle t1_jdmzzyy wrote

Depends on where he is. Quad is a good product, quad max as well. Depending on application there could be better choice.

Electronic_Honeydew1 OP t1_jdmfyoe wrote

We live in the uk so wet winters fairly hot summers so I get that stuff moves but was surprised how much it has cracked

FirstForFun44 t1_jdmjckb wrote

Hold up, Quad Max cracked?

DipDoodle t1_jdmzn9u wrote

Quad max has a lot of plasticizers in it. They will migrate out and the sealant becomes brittle. Also if you took it too thin the sun will destroy it

imoutohere t1_jdmgqch wrote

Maybe the product was bad. I live in US northeast, so we get a lot of expansion and contraction also. The point of the caulking is it’s supposed to be flexible. I think that you had a bad batch of caulking or something.

Electronic_Honeydew1 OP t1_jdmh3jd wrote

I used a few different types bought in different batches applied at different times - caulked the whole house! All were well reviewed on Amazon. Strange

LearningIsTheBest t1_jdmri5n wrote

+1 for Quad. Frustrating to install due to stickiness (wear disposable gloves) but seals so gooooood.

DipDoodle t1_jdmzpo8 wrote

You Might be taking about quad max? Quad is sticky but nowhere near as messy as quad max

fredsam25 t1_jdmalpa wrote

Silicone where you don't care about matching the color perfectly, want a great seal. Caulk and paint everywhere else.

clemclem3 t1_jdmk25c wrote

Silicone is often a problem because it sticks to silicone better than anything else. Over time movement will cause silicone to peel off of one side of any joint and stubbornly stick to the other side and be a p i t a to remove. Quad is much better. Quad is a version of polyurethane sealant or PL. These sealants are difficult to apply and messy and they never really cure so they sort of stay gummy but they have really good performance as sealers

Siliconized latex or. Siliconized acrylic is a very different thing. Paintable. Water clean up. Stays flexible better than regular latex

Good old regular latex caulk my brand is white lightning is still a very good option for anything that's going to be painted over. It holds paint well and it's very inexpensive and easy to apply

There's also butyl rubber mostly used on metal like gutters and copolymer sealant like lexel. Very messy very difficult to apply but can provide really good performance for the right application

DipDoodle t1_jdn15bl wrote

White lightning is pure garbage my dood. I work for a manufacturer, and we all can agree on this at least

clemclem3 t1_jdn2sw8 wrote

What is your preferred latex caulk my dood

DipDoodle t1_jdn30et wrote

PPG Top Gun 200xi or 250 for interior paint. Top gun 400 for exterior. Some harder paint are finicky with tg400

leroyyrogers t1_jdn1ttz wrote

I've moved to using dynaflex ultra for all my caulking needs. It's durable, stretches, paintable, and mold proof. It's rated for interior and exterior so I have no need for anything else.

bcbigfoot t1_jdn4i45 wrote

as a renovation carpenter, I have had really good results with Dynaflex 230.

123isausernameforme t1_jdowiyb wrote

Me too. It's all I use/keep in stock anymore(except for the real special use scenarios) . Jack of all caulks and it's really good at mostly everything.

Material_Swimmer2584 t1_jdmh9fk wrote

Use Alex not DAP

DipDoodle t1_jdmzqy1 wrote

Lol Alex is Dap

Material_Swimmer2584 t1_jdn1vga wrote

Crap which am I thinking of. Construction guys always saying Alex plus is better than x

DipDoodle t1_jdn27b3 wrote

Maybe white lightning or red devil? Both probably worse than Alex plus. All of these caulks suck though, if you want actually good painters caulk you have to go to a professional paint store and get some PPG top gun or all pro brand

randomn49er t1_jdmsgk2 wrote

All depends where you are using it. Silicone in kitchen and bathroom. For exterior applications a polyurethane caulk will allow expansion and contraction and resit UV breakdown.

DipDoodle t1_jdmzto9 wrote

UV destroys polyurethane sealants worse than anything

Pikablu555 t1_jdn0q45 wrote

Silicone is significantly more stretchy and holds up better to expansion and contraction. But as many have said it is not paintable most of the time, you can find paintable silicon though.

Craig-Carmoney t1_jdn1nir wrote

Silicone is best if the goal is to protect from water damage.