Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ill-Poet-3298 t1_it9qouc wrote

Command adhesive thingies are great for this.

dalekaup t1_it9zcap wrote

In practice I find these rip off the paint. I know how to use them. I was a nurse for a good while and the first use for this adhesive was Tegaderm adhesive bandages, 2nd use was Duoderm. Command strips came later.

You stretch them to 3-4 times their natural length and the adhesive releases. Good luck on painted walls though.

Ill-Poet-3298 t1_it9zil2 wrote

> the first use for this adhesive was Tegaderm adhesive bandages, 2nd use was Duoderm.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Kind of like how krazy glue was originally used for wound sealing.

leviwhite9 t1_itavirz wrote

Cyanoacrylate glue is still used probably almost universally in medical settings for wound closure.

sofa_king_ugly t1_itbav0n wrote

My thumbnail is damaged and is separating. I drenched it with gel Krazy glue to hold it together. My intention was to get by without snagging it on anything until I can get to a nail salon (I'm a guy who works in a remote industrial setting) but I just dressed it smooth and it seems incredibly durable. I'll probably just leave it as-is and let it grow out

leviwhite9 t1_itbblcp wrote

Hell yeah brother.

You ever see the liquid skin stuff? It's sold in bandaid aisle usually.

It's pretty much the same, more rubbery though. I use it on hangnails because I've an awful habit of once they start I dig at them until I see bone.

sofa_king_ugly t1_itbc3a7 wrote

I had a bottle of "New Skin" on hand but it only held up for about a day. Which is pretty good considering how many times the damp gloves go on and off. I cut a nail 2/3 across with a handsaw a few years ago - through the glove - it was a mess. I went to a nail salon and had a clear UV-cured gel applied over what was left and wow is that stuff tough.

pseudocultist t1_itbmg1q wrote

I love liquid bandage but it wears off quickly, like once a day at least you have to reapply a layer or two, and when I put it on a hangnail or cuticle I've been scratching, I actually dig at it more because now there's something to scrape off. I usually have to go with a multifaceted approach, liquid band aid under actual band aid, sometimes under nitrile gloves.

purebreadbagel t1_itbv73m wrote

Also now marketed as “catheter securement adhesive” for central lines, accessed ports, and PICC lines. I got to play with it when they were first introducing it at my hospital and my first thought was “huh, this feels like super glue when it dries” after I put it on my skin to see if it would burn. Then I read the package and realized it basically was superglue.

KappuccinoBoi t1_itafuw1 wrote

I've found they really only rip paint off walls if a) they were left on for years or b) the wall wasn't primed before painting.

Otherwise they've been a godsend for me

FiorinasFury t1_itbbr0q wrote

You're also supposed to hold your finger against the adhesive as you pull as to reduce the sheer force on the wall. You put one hand on the part to be stretched while the other hand does the stretching. It's a two handed operation. Are you sure you tried this? I have used Command Strips for years and only have had issues when removing them with a one handed method.

dalekaup t1_itc40ki wrote

I used Tegaderm bandages daily for most of the 15 years I was a nurse. The stakes were higher than ripping off some paint. So yes, I do know how this adhesive works.

−4

RubyPorto t1_ita4gtk wrote

Command strips leave a residue which can interfere with the adhesion of the next layer of paint.

My last apartment specifically forbade them, and recommended using nails instead.

FirstAidKilt t1_itag1vx wrote

That and there seems to be some kind of weakening with their tabs over time. Fresh ones are always easy to remove, but ones that I've had up for a year or two seem to have the pull tab snap off much easier, you really gotta be ginger with those fuckers.

When I used to work in some dorms at a college they forbid them too, because every semester after move out almost every room had five to thirty some leftover command hook attachment plates still on the walls because the tabs snapped when they tried to get them off and hey their parents will just pay the fee for an uncleaned room.

I will say though, a credit/library/whatever card is your friend there. In my experience, squishing the command strip down like an accordion underneath the clear plate seems to work as well as stretching it out in terms of getting it off without taking chunks of the wall out.

Taleya t1_ita4tm8 wrote

...as long as you're not dealing with landlord quality paint.

Reacti0n7 t1_it9yi62 wrote

If they are using command strips, might as well run them above head instead of the floor