Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

1971CB350 t1_ir1h7ug wrote

Ask your inspector/permit office. I’ve always found those folks to be very helpful. It’s your tax dollars, use them when you need them!

Loon610 OP t1_ir1ic1h wrote

Thanks for the input.

1971CB350 t1_ir2hhy7 wrote

I wish I could give you a specific answer, but codes vary by region and you’ll want to meet the expectations of the person doing the final inspection.

Loon610 OP t1_ir2kso6 wrote

Thanks again, I’ve dealt with other inspectors when doing renovations, and some are clueless, the one I’m thinking of is the district inspector when I did my wood stove. When contacting offices that do inspections I have found usually people answering phones are very inexperienced, and the people with the knowledge are out on the road working. Usually when I have met the inspectors that are actually the qualified ones they’re pretty good source of information. It’s just hard talking to these people until they show up to do the inspection. I will have 3 inspections available with my permit until they start to charge me for additional inspections, but I would like to be one and done. I also find these types of projects a great way to learn more, I’ve caught multiple errors in my house from learning from these projects, and as shitty and snarky Reddit can be sometimes there are some very helpful resourceful people, so that’s why I like asking here, that gives me jump off point to read more and then be able to ask more questions when the inspector shows up haha.

Eljefedelmundo t1_ir2xmis wrote

my advice is to go down to the office with pictures and drawings of what you want to do early, like 8-8:30AM, before the field inspectors leave. Maybe bring some donuts or coffee cake too, show them what you want to do, and ask how they would do it, if they were doing it themselves. You probably get 2 or more arguing over how to do it, but it's all good advice.

jackdawson1049 t1_ir54fdu wrote

Ask for a pre construction meeting with the inspector. Now you can ask him your questions.