Submitted by PryITPilot t3_z6hy6z in DIY

How Important is this Stud?

I’d like to install a recessed jewelry armoire in a wall in our owners suite similar to this. Behind my wall looks like this.

How important is that middle stud, and the horizontal pieces attached to it? If it’s super important, how can I safely remove it?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

69Dankdaddy69 t1_iy1gy0y wrote

I like to perform a practical test.

First you cut the stud, then if the roof caves in, you can safely determine that the stud was important.

IronSmithFE t1_iy1j6a8 wrote

it isn't that important especially if that is the top floor. if it were at all important it would be located under the ceiling joist not parallel with it. that being said, if you want to make sure that you are ok, you can put up some studs underneath the joist along the adjacent wall which you are not cutting away.

PryITPilot OP t1_iy1jf9u wrote

I actually didn’t notice that it was parallel with it, thanks for calling that out. I just assumed it was underneath the joist, and was worried it was carrying load from the floor above.

FuriouslyFiredUp t1_iy1grwf wrote

You can get away with relocating it. Take your measurement of the opening you want (include the space required for the drywall as well) then place one bracing 2x4 above and one below.

FistyMcPunchface t1_iy1r432 wrote

You're very important, my dude. Don't sell yourself short.

n0tjamesfranc0 t1_iy6ewfq wrote

It doesn't look load bearing but it's hard to tell without seeing the full framing of the joists. If you're worried it is you can still add your shelves, just frame it with a 2x6 header to transfer the weight to the side studs like you would a door opening.