Submitted by Evinrude44 t3_zvovtq in DIY

We've been in this house for about 5 years. The sump pump was in place, but is probably 20+ years old, and hasn't run since we've been here. In other words, our basement is bone dry hooray for us.

Assuming the check valve still works, is there any real need to swap out the old steel pipe with pvc? Seems like the pipes that are in place can be left? Does it make sense to replace the check valve with a new (and presumably better built) one?

​

Update:

So the old brass check valve was never ever coming off of the discharge pipe. So I decided to move one length of discharge pipe connection at a time. Ended up pulling 10 feet or so. Lots of old dried debris at the egress section of pipe. Replaced the whole thing with pvc. Thanks all.

Also, probably should have been explicit in OP that the old pump did not work, at all.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GrimResistance t1_j1q8u2b wrote

As long as the pipe looks to be in good shape, not too rusted and no leaks, there's no need to replace it. I'd probably put in a new check valve just because they're cheap and having been dry for so long the old one might not seal very well.

scottothered t1_j1qcbsc wrote

I second replacing the check valve. I do not have a dry basement and my pumps lasted a few years between replacement. Last time i put in a check valve and the pump has lasted at least twice as long.

Carpenterdon t1_j1qe1ji wrote

Contrary to others here, if it were me, and it was 7 years ago when we bought our home...If you are replacing the pump, replace the check valve and pipes as well. The entire run of a new PVC output is considerably less than the pump itself. This is especially true if you have galvanized steel pipe. That can easily corrode from the inside while looking fine on the outside.

Just because it doesn't run much does "Not" mean there is life left in it. What it really means for a sump pump is the bearings may be stuck in place, float switch may be stuck from lack of motion, the impeller may be jammed by dirt/debris. All of which could mean a flooded basement. The cost of a pump is cheap compared to repairing a flood. And because it is dry does not mean you shouldn't worry about it. Especially with our constantly changing climate. Hell who'd have though Texans would have needed bigger furnaces and snow shovels just a few years ago...

I'd replace the pump, the check valve and all piping. And if you sump doesn't run on its own dump a five gallon bucket of water in the sump pit a couple times a year to test and clear and debris that can get into the sump.

Blunttack t1_j1qhzac wrote

The last time I went to our big box hardware store for it, PVC was very expensive, and a lot was sold out. I get it though. My counter offer would be to replace all the piping if the thing ran all the time. With it never running, seems overkill to redo it all, especially for a weekend warrior. My two cents. Course every 3-5 years I pay a guy to essentially drill out our iron pipes from the 70s to the street at the first signs of slow drains… so maybe I’m not the best option.

silverbullet52 t1_j1q9igr wrote

If the pipes look good, don't fix what ain't broke.

PVC is a cheaper alternative to metal for new construction or repairs, it's not necessarily better.

If it hasn't been submerged or run much, the pump itself probably has life left in it. Still, pumps are cheap and a critical item so it makes sense to replace.

Absolutely replace the check valve. Rubber seals deteriorate over time whether they're used or not.

redirdamon t1_j1r2ep9 wrote

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ntyperteasy t1_j1sktsx wrote

I would replace the pipe with PVC just because steel (or iron) pipe gets nasty over time, and you have no way of inspecting the inside of the pipe to see how rusty / obstructed it is.

And, this might blow some minds, you can get clear PVC pipe. A little icky for normal sanitary piping around your house, but perfect for a sump pump drain - you can see what is happening inside the pipe... see if it's obstructed, water is flowing, etc.

(regular PVC pipe is white since they use the cheapest filler possible - ground up limestone).

https://www.clearpvcpipe.com/products/schedule-40-clear-pvc-pipe-1-4-in-to-12-in-size-10-ft-lengths

Here's one version of the clear quiet check valve - https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Zoeller-30-0041/p14772.html

Ok-Finger-733 t1_j1rdeko wrote

I just bought my house, on my to do list is to get all the pipes scoped to make sure I don't run into drainage issues. If after the scope cam comes up either clear or needing attention I'll start looking at what is next. I have a mix of PVC and Galvanised steel pipes, but not switching unless there is a need to.

ifoundit1 t1_j1qszti wrote

A new name for my pecker.