Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThePresidentsNipples t1_j259mwk wrote

Grippenripp t1_j25qoyt wrote

On July 12, 1989, EPA issued a final rule banning most asbestos-containing products.

I think OP is safe. Regardless I would still wear a mask when I scraped it off just because there is still particulate matter that can cause respiratory irritation. Keeping the ceiling as wet as possible without wetting too much to damage the drywall is important.

Coffeedemon t1_j26dmbt wrote

Banning new production ot outright requiring the destruction of existing stock? They put that shit in everything so there's still a chance it snuck in.

Dr_Wh00ves t1_j28x7x6 wrote

OP should still test it. When I was working doing gut jobs on old houses we found out a lot of popcorn ceilings from the mid to late 90s still contained asbestos. Just because the EPA mandated it doesn't mean people stopped using/buying old stock and using it anyways because it was cheaper/easier. Not worth the risk of future lung cancer IMO, especially when testing is relatively cheap/easy.

Sluisifer t1_j28yirj wrote

And some contractor could be sitting on old stock they want to use up. It makes sense to test well into the 90s.