Submitted by HIM101 t3_10gq9bj in DIY

Title says it all. Im looking to build a home made pressure pot for another project since i dont want to invest in one for a small project. Looking online i saw someone make one using a plastic paint bucket, however it didnt look like the safest option. Ive been wondering if air tight plastic containers could hold? Also saw some people mention using glass jars but it felt like itd be a bad option since if it does go wrong itd send glass everywhere.

Alternatively ive heard soda bottles are very good though the problem os that im not sure how id fit my mold into the bottle without having to cut it open.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gladeyes t1_j54azay wrote

Stay away from glass, it’s unpredictable. Go to hardware store and look thru their pipe for some that’s big enough. They should have ends and threaded fittings to fit your bike pump. The first time you pressurize it fill it with water and take it up to 1.5x the pressure you want to use. If the pipe ruptures you’ll only have a small volume of compressed air in it so it’ll just spray water around. Small bang not a big one.

HIM101 OP t1_j54dyp5 wrote

Thanks for this tip. Ill tty to see if I can find anything like that, though ive found finding proper pvc pipes is bothersomely difficult. If i can find any ill go for it, but if not ill still keep the water tip. And yeah ill avoid glass, much appreciated

GrimResistance t1_j55mtlo wrote

I used 6" schedule 40 pvc for my spud gun and it handles 80psi fine. It's rated for 180psi.

snarkycouple t1_j54cizm wrote

Goodwill... look for a cheap pressure cooker.

HIM101 OP t1_j54du7z wrote

Not american, we dont have that store. As for cheap even the cheap ones around whwre i live seem to be around 35-40 euro. Beside that do they work for casting epoxy? I couldnt find a clear answer

Vomitus_The_Emetic t1_j59scjq wrote

Do you have thrift stores or used shops around? No idea about epoxy but they'll take 15psi

MacsGPPDisorder t1_j546n0x wrote

How big is your pump? Most vaccuum pumps pull to about 30 easy and use a small 4 or 5qt stove pot

HIM101 OP t1_j546t5j wrote

I was intending to use a valve and pump from a bike wheel. Thats what they did in the tutorial and it seems like it should work fine since the pressure shouls be fairly low.

And also as that should hopefully clear up im not trying to make a vaccuum, im trying to add pressure.

MacsGPPDisorder t1_j546zh0 wrote

Ah. I don't know about adding, but a mason jar or soda/beer bottle should work fine if it's less than 10psi.

HIM101 OP t1_j5473pm wrote

Thing is i cant fit my mold through a bottle opening, and for mason jar im a little worried about if it does go wrong the glass would explode out. Would something like covering the sides with a blanket help with that?

MacsGPPDisorder t1_j547dsx wrote

I can't say, as mason jars aren't designed to hold pressure, but rather hold a small vaccuum after something cools. Dors it have to glass? A tin can or even pop can can hold a lot more

HIM101 OP t1_j548hmk wrote

It doesnt have to be glass. Tin can is difficult to seal however and pop can's dont have a wide enough opening.

Its why i was also asking about plastic containers and if those could hold

rampampwobble t1_j54ehqd wrote

Would a small pressure sprayer work?

HIM101 OP t1_j54ekwv wrote

Getting the pressure isnt the problem. Im mostly wondering what the best containers would be for it.

Sluisifer t1_j55xk0k wrote

Don't fuck around with pressure. Even at modest pressure, if you're talking about the size of a bucket, that makes quite a bang when it lets go. Enough to cause serious injury, permanent hearing loss, etc.

The only suitable glass would be those designed for carbonated drinks. And all of those will have narrow openings precisely because they're designed to hold pressure.

A 10" opening at 10psi will have 2500 lbs. of force on it. Only an engineered product like a pressure cooker can withstand that sort of pressure at reasonable cost. Plumbing parts can also be suitable, but you need to make the joints/seals properly. It's not hard, but it's also easy to screw up if you don't know what you're doing.