Submitted by snapdown91 t3_10m9sci in DIY

I installed a ceiling fan upstairs in my house with a pancake (?) junction box screwed into the stud a few months ago. Works great and all went well. Previous post

This box is on the first floor, so I have no access from above, and it looks different than my one upstairs. It doesn’t appear to be attached to a stud, but there’s a stud right next to the box. You can kind of see it peaking out of the left side of this picture.

What are my options? This is my living room center light. Would something like this work?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Anydudewilltellyou t1_j61tlyt wrote

You should use a ceiling fan rated box. I’ve used this one with 100% success:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gz5HIFBb-e8

snapdown91 OP t1_j61tuwo wrote

Would this work if the stud runs directly adjacent to the hole in the ceiling? Or you think I should move the hole?

Intelligent_Ebb4887 t1_j638x8c wrote

Home Depot sells a few varieties for either floating between joists or butted against a joist. Also make sure you get a retrofit box if you don't have access to replace it from above.

snapdown91 OP t1_j63jvc2 wrote

I’ve been searching there - is something like this what you mean? Looks like this could work.

Link

GrimResistance t1_j63w03q wrote

That would be perfect. This type would also work.

Your old box is probably nailed into the ceiling joist, like this box, so expect that it might be a bit difficult to remove. I've sometimes had to use an oscillating tool to chop it to bits in order to remove them before.

snapdown91 OP t1_j644wdk wrote

Appreciate the reply. I figured so, I’ll have to see what I can do to get access to those nails. Thanks again!