Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j6j7pj5 wrote

When I lived in NZ I had this problem also. Two options :

1. Buy a dehumidifier of a size to match the room(s). You will need to empty the accumulated water from it daily at least.

2. Install a heat pump (reverse cycle air conditioner).

ThisIsNotAFarm t1_j6jyigy wrote

> studio apartment

> Install a heat pump (reverse cycle air conditioner).

[deleted] t1_j6k68pn wrote

Aircon involves building works which is why I suggested a free standing dehumidifier as the first (lowest cost) option. Most folks grossly underestimate the size needed though. If OP leaves a free standing dehumidifier running all day, she/he will come home to a dry apartment.

mtiakrerye t1_j6jnrg8 wrote

What would a heat pump do?

chopsuwe t1_j6jxe93 wrote

They have a dehumidify cycle. A stand alone dehumidifier works better though.

Source: NZ, we're famous for our cold, damp, draughty houses with condensation on the windows and mould on every surface.

mtiakrerye t1_j6jxu1t wrote

Oh, nice. I don’t think mine here in the US has an option to run it like that (but it sounds handy).

chopsuwe t1_j6jyfip wrote

Handy but not very good, it works by alternating between heating the air to keep the room warm, then chilling to make the moisture condense in the unit where it can be drained away.

[deleted] t1_j6k6z13 wrote

No it does not.

Reverse cycle air-conditioning DEHUMIDIFIES the air and optionally maintains heats OR cools to the desired temperature. It does not alternately heat/cool.

−3

dododoob t1_j6k7ay7 wrote

The only way for a heat pump to dehumidify is to run in cool mode. The dehumidify setting works by only running the compressor enough to keep the coils just below the dew point. Because the hot side is still outside, it will end up cooling the room down a bit. A standalone dehumidifier keeps its hot side in the room, so it doesn't have this problem.

ErikTheAngry t1_j6jqny2 wrote

Well, I haven't tried it, but I imagine it might be sufficient to evaporate the water as it condenses on the windows.

But... it feels to me like it's just as likely to make the problem worse, by increasing the potential humidity of the room (as warm air holds more moisture).

Maybe in a place like Chicago, where it doesn't get very cold, it might work? Up where I live, I cannot see this being a tenable solution at all.

Westerdutch t1_j6k0e2c wrote

> evaporate ... likely to make the problem worse

Correct, evaporating the water isnt the solution but rather part of the problem. Humid air hitting the cold glass is what causes the water to come out (cold air holds less water than warm air so as it cools some has to come out). More heat does not change the amount of water you have in the air so condensation will stay. You either need to lower amount of water in the air (dehumidifier) or you need to not have cold glass (isolating layer or double glazing). Ideally youd have a bit of both, lower humidity in combination with windows that do not waste as much heat will significantly increase quality of life in general and heating cost (dry air needs less energy to heat up than humid air).

Kelsenellenelvial t1_j6k6wuf wrote

Increasing the temperature inside does help because it makes the inside surface of the window warmer too. We used to run a space heater in the living room to keep it warmer than the rest of the house and it did help a lot with condensation, at the cost of increased energy usage. The best solution is to replace the windows with a more energy efficient version, but that’s costly and not really an option if you don’t own the place.

For OP, window films is probably the most effective solution for the price. Part of the issue is older houses were so drafty that inside humidity wasn’t much different than outside. Then people start sealing things up to reduce energy costs, but that leads to cold spots that lead to condensation.

DasArchitect t1_j6jtvcw wrote

It won't help. The temperature outside (thus the glazing) will remain below condensation.

alfredthedinosaur t1_j6jq2pb wrote

Heat pump won't help here. During winter heat pump transfers heat into the desired space for warmth. This drives the air inside to be of conditions that cause a cold single pane window to condensate. Think of a cold can of beer on a hot day; it sweats. Same thing here.

Dehumidify or insulate windows using a secondary pane or other product are only solutions.

[deleted] t1_j6k03z5 wrote

No it doesnt.

Reverse cycle airconditioners DEHUMIDIFY the air plus & heat/cool to the desired temperature.

Double glazing or even triple glazing is woulderful to have, if you can afford it and IF you can rip out the windows to replace them.