Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

XFactor-41 t1_j5phzgj wrote

Wouldn't installing a small subpanel be easier? Or at least less expensive than replacing AFCI breakers.

zforce42 t1_j5pl4yr wrote

If you get non-afci tandems then it's definitely not easier and cheaper to do that but the sub panel is the smarter move.

XFactor-41 t1_j5plu3k wrote

But, if it's a new enough house to have an AFCI circuit, now you're below code unless you're installing an AFCI outlet on each circuit, and those aren't cheap either.

zforce42 t1_j5pno2l wrote

Ahh you're right, I didn't realize AFCI breakers are required these days. That's whack lol.

XFactor-41 t1_j5pu8a8 wrote

My house is 2 years old, and apparently now combination GFCI/AFCI breakers are a thing. I have a feeling I’d have to sell a kidney if one of those has to be replaced.

KingEraqus t1_j5pzvx6 wrote

They’re only $60 a piece for 15 amp single pole, not crazy expensive for what they are

j-random t1_j5rrrmm wrote

Until you notice that plain breakers are like $15.

KingEraqus t1_j5rtjdn wrote

Sure, but you don’t have to use expensive outlets downstream, plus added safety if you do decide to. It’s a no brainer to spend the extra money on those breakers!

timbofoo t1_j6f07i2 wrote

Plus you get all those awesome afci nuisance trips! Who doesn’t love having to go all the way to the basement because you plugged something in wrong?

zforce42 t1_j5pzmhx wrote

I mean, technically you can replace them with regular breakers. Just don't get your house inspected if you're doing it lol.

DriftingNorthPole t1_j5ruqrb wrote

...or file an insurance claim based on an electrical fire. Automatic denial and good luck finding another underwriter. They put that shit in a database and share it.