Submitted by Lil-Sprankles-2402 t3_10oax1b in DIY

I noticed late last night that our clothes weren’t drying and when I went to remove the lint from the trap it was cold. Stopped the dryer, restarted it and noticed I wasn’t seeing the “red light” behind it. So I’m assuming that means the heating element went out?

This isn’t a super fancy dryer, it’s basic/standard. I looked up heating elements for it and they’re fairly cheap. Is it easy to replace them?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OptiGuy4u t1_j6dj3fs wrote

I've repaired our dryer several times. If you can find a YouTube walk through of the disassembly of your model absolutely don't be afraid to do it. Watch and pause the video as you go through.

The first time, mine was a temp sensor. And YouTube helped me troubleshoot. I should have just spent a little more on the entire heating assembly that came with all the sensors because it went out about 6 months later.

There isn't much to a dryer once you get in there.

UNPLUG IT FIRST

Lil-Sprankles-2402 OP t1_j6dkwwy wrote

Thank you!

OptiGuy4u t1_j6dx6ea wrote

Oh also, BE VERY CAREFUL when you're working inside and taking the dryer cabinet apart. There are a lot of sharp metal edges inside. Just be real careful.

OptiGuy4u t1_j6dwcou wrote

I'm confident in you. Let me know how it goes.

phenolic72 t1_j6en81s wrote

Just chiming in to agree. I replaced the heating element and thermostat on our Samsung 3 times during its 13 year life. Find a YouTube video and take photos as you go.

canuckcrazed006 t1_j6epko8 wrote

I just replaced my dryer heater fuse about 2 weeks ago, 50 dollar part and 30 mins of time, easy fix

mmaalex t1_j6ickze wrote

My (limited) experience repairing dryers is usually the temp sensor fails or the gas solenoid on a gas dryer.

You should be able to find a schematic and manual for your unit and go thru and figure out which has failed, or option two is to just throw parts at it.

t46p1g t1_j6djjzk wrote

If it's electric, it Could be that you've lost one leg of 120v.
Electric dryers are 240 volts for the heating element, but the tumbler motor and electronic control is 120 volt. Could be a bad breaker, or loose connection.
My father in laws mom had this issue when a contractor accidently cut the wire which powered the dryer outlet. But they only partially cut it through one of the hot wires.
So she assumed the dryer went bad, bought a new one and had it installed only to have the same problem.
I'm an electrician so I went over and found the problem.

Diligent_Nature t1_j6dqdqa wrote

As long as you have basic tools and a modicum of mechanical aptitude, you can do it.

CowRanching t1_j6ffdyl wrote

Definitely check breakers as in earlier post. Dryer will run on one leg of the breaker, but it will not heat. Cheap and easy fix and hope that is your problem. Sometimes breakers become weak over time.

ObiDan71 t1_j6dioi2 wrote

YouTube will be your best friend for this.

My previous dryer had a heating element that I could get to from the front of the machine. It took some time and a long bit-driver extension but it was done in about 45 minutes. It is not a complicated procedure

It's a great idea to do it yourself considering what technicians charge per hour, plus they will have to order the part and you have to wait 3 weeks before they come back.

sudo_mksandwhich t1_j6eyres wrote

The last time this happened to me it was a thermal fuse that had blown. Most likely the vent had gotten clogged and it just got too hot. A $4 part if I recall, and about 5 minutes to replace it.

Before you start throwing parts at the problem, especially heating elements, you should check for basic continuity with a multimeter.

PaulFern64 t1_j6g8b91 wrote

Check the breaker first. If one half of the breaker is tripped, the heating element will not work, but the light and drum may still work.

Vecii t1_j6g9jgp wrote

I love old dryers. They are super easy to work on!

Wahoo017 t1_j6goqak wrote

I replaced the heating element on my Samsung dryer twice. There are youtube videos of exactly how to do it and the part is like 15 dollars on Amazon. It's easy to test to make sure that's it also.

BaconReceptacle t1_j6fasxg wrote

There is usually a safety cut out in addition to a thermostat sensor. If one is bad then replace them both. One could have caused the other to fail.