Submitted by knewtoff t3_11dpw3v in DIY

Outside one of the back doors is this brick patio in ROUGH shape. This door is seldom used (maybe once a week), and the “patio” is only used for walking. It is a huge trip hazard and weed garden. I have learned about replacing it correctly — 4 inch gravel base, 1 inch sand, pavers and then sand for the cracks. However, as you can see on the left, this is where the gas line comes in. I don’t know how deep these lines run, so I am hesitant to do the “correct” process here. Could I just remove the bricks, dig/level/slope the area about an inch, fill with paver sand and re-lay? Or is this a big no-no? Along these lines, is there a tool I can rent that digs? (Not a shovel, har har). There were a few trees in this area that have been removed, but the roots remain. My poor back can handle but so much.

You may notice some other issues in these pics. For whatever it is worth, there is a French drain at that back door. I know the side yard slopes toward the house and unfortunately it is what it is for now (this has been much improved from where it was, I’ve had a crew come out once already to make it better at least). But anyways, not the goal of my current project.

Thank you!

Pictures looking at the door and from the door: https://imgur.com/a/vcpnrSv

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

love2go t1_jaa90px wrote

Call to get utilities marked off to be safe. It’s free and fast. My cable and internet cable was only 4” deep and has been cut too many times.

2001sleeper t1_jaa9ia6 wrote

A utility wont be that shallow. Low voltage has different requirements.

ybonepike t1_jaamggr wrote

I'm my experience, phone, cable are 6" to just below the sod/mulch and gas is about 8" deep, seldomly is it ever at proper depth

knewtoff OP t1_jaaasad wrote

I have had utilities marked before, but it didn’t mark how deep. The only one that was labeled was gas (all other are overhead)

Hfftygdertg2 t1_jaaf5yp wrote

If you can catch the utility locator while they are there, they can tell you approximately how deep it it. Where I am they usually mark the depth in one place, but I can never read their handwriting.

I think the minimum depth for a gas line is typically 12 inches, but that doesn't guarantee it was installed correctly.

Acer-Red t1_jaaw9bp wrote

Nor does it take into consideration how much grade may have changed from when it was installed.

Wooomp t1_jaa7ujb wrote

Work around the gasoline where it comes up at the wall. The rest of it will be plenty deep. 18” is standard gas pipe trench depth.

DV_Mitten t1_jab23b3 wrote

Gas should be 18" (likely 12" to 15" if I was a betting man) down. If you hand dig it gently with a shovel you should be fine. It takes a pretty good gouge to damage underground.

Acer-Red t1_jaax23a wrote

Just hand dig around where the locate marks are. It will suck but this is the right way to do it. You won't want to pay for the fees if the utility has to come out and repair the line. At the very least do a couple potholes to locate and get a depth measurement.

It looks like you might have a plastic line (tough to see from the photo, but I think I see tracer wire at the riser). So when/if you find it, it might be yellow pipe, black with a yellow stripe, or it could be a pinkish color. Those are the most common colors for plastic pipe in the areas I've worked (engineer for a utility working on both gas and electric).

DarthGaymer t1_jaak994 wrote

The gas line should be deep enough that it won’t cause any issues. Just make sure you utilize One Call and have it marked before you start and do not use any sort of power equipment to dig near the markings.

cliffx t1_jaf119l wrote

Assuming it hasn't been touched in a number of years, it doesn't look all that bad.

In theory you'd pull it all and redo the base to the proper level and relay the brick. But this is an old walk, and that's a lot of work. Its rarely used and most of the settling has probably already happened. If you are ok with a 7-10 year job, then I'd top up the low spots and relay the brick. I redid a paver patio this way, it held up plenty well until we moved like 7-8years later (we were on really well draining soil - which likely played a part of it.)