Submitted by midnightsalers t3_11em8c7 in DIY

I believe the pipe attaching the showerhead to the wall was tightened too much on installation. There is plumber's tape underneath, not sure if that matters.

I've tried loosening the pipe with both a crescent wrench and a pipe wrench, but the wrench keeps slipping when I rotate counterclockwise no matter how much I tighten it beforehand. I've tried wrapping the pipe with cloth and with plumber's tape before the wrench, but this did not help.

Am I using the wrong tool for the job? How can I get the wrench to grip the pipe tightly enough?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Iliamna_remota t1_jaetwwv wrote

Pipe wrench properly adjusted should not slip. You gotta tweak the how open/closed the pipe wrench is. It's easy for it to be too opened/closed. Or you could try vice grip pliers but the pipe will get mangled.

midnightsalers OP t1_jaexm4k wrote

I had it positioned the wrong way, I didn't understand how they worked before. I turned it around and it worked perfectly, thanks.

SaltinPepper t1_jaeupet wrote

Are you wanting to take the pipe out of the wall, or just the head?

You should be able to just unscrew the whole thing by just turning the assembly with your hands.

hth

Diligent_Nature t1_jaewmjx wrote

Are you aware that pipe wrenches have to be flipped over to switch from tightening to loosening?

midnightsalers OP t1_jaexk48 wrote

I am now. This explains why I was able to tighten but not loosen. Thank you, this worked perfectly.

Syndicofberyl t1_jaeue1e wrote

Channel locks are handy. They bite harder the harder you twist