Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

skydiver1958 t1_ja5d01q wrote

So here is the thing. A house from that era may have aluminum wires( and even if copper the workmanship was shit back then.

Been working on older houses like this for 40 years as a reno carpenter. I know all the basics but do I do it? No. We only have qualified electricians do the work. The same with gas fitting or plumbing.

I'm ok with DIY but know when to say when. Sorry but a house of that vintage needs a good go over by a pro.

jjmoreta OP t1_ja5nurg wrote

Thank you for the good reminder. The wiring is copper, I know that much from the small amount of wiring work I helped my ex do. It was a house from a major builder at the time so I do and don't trust the wiring.

But I do have a list started for an electrician when I have the money of things that I can't handle. I would like a few new outlets placed and that's WAY outside my expertise. And the entire breaker box needing to be replaced. I wouldn't even touch that. I'm going to ask them when they're working if anything looks like it needs to be upgraded.

But replacing outlets/switches and light fixtures are the extent of what I feel I can handle. I can't afford to get a handyman or electrician to do all the little jobs. I haven't done a lot myself but I was always the helper with my dad and my ex and I'm aware of safety. I'm replacing the doorbell transformer this week or next weekend when it comes in so I can put in the video doorbell. But the fluorescent lights flickering in the kitchen, no. Might be as simple as replacing a ballast or starter but I'm just not confident since it's already flickering.