Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

r7-arr t1_jab4cgb wrote

One big downside is your framing isn't correct. You should have fire blocking all around the top plates. And also at intervals along the wall length.

hoppyending OP t1_jab4x15 wrote

There are no such rules for interior walls where I live. They’re just there to hold drywall.

MinkOWar t1_jabkg3s wrote

The issue they are pointing out is that the air gap in the wall is connected to the concealed space in the floor assembly. If you fill the studs with insulation, you are excepted from the fireblocking requirement.

Otherwise, you can block the space between the framing with lumber or plywood or drywall.

hoppyending OP t1_jabkopz wrote

Yeah. I understand what they were saying now. In my jurisdiction Sheetrock is an acceptable fire block, so there’s nothing wrong with my “framing”. I haven’t even ordered any drywall yet, so that’s why that space is open right now.

r7-arr t1_jab582c wrote

I find that hard to believe. It's been in the IRC for years. https://codes.iccsafe.org/s/IRC2015/chapter-3-building-planning/IRC2015-Pt03-Ch03-SecR302.11

MinkOWar t1_jabi4nw wrote

Canada doesn't use the IRC.

Also, fireblocking materials in that reference include glass fiber batts... so OP's literally proposing to fill the wall with approved fireblocking by that reference.

r7-arr t1_jach3u6 wrote

I guess fire is different in Canada. There should be a solid block of plywood or 5/8 drywall at the top of the cavity that he has created to create a block between that and the joist bays. The reason is that any fire that starts in that wall space will rapidly spread into the basement ceiling. Fiberglass batts are not fire blocking. Mineral wool batts are acceptable.

randomn49er t1_jabaeab wrote

I have only been required to do this for seperate living quarters in the basement. In my experience this is not required if one family has free access to all levels of the home.

Spoona1983 t1_jabgvrv wrote

You're assuming USA i personally would have assumed canada as op used C denoting celcius and also the 60°C temp difference is kinda normal for canadain cities

Thrawn89 t1_jactz7x wrote

You'd be assuming north America, Europe also uses C.

geshie t1_jabd15h wrote

Yes there are - fire blocking requirements are in OBC 9.10.16. https://www.buildingcode.online/1506.html

−1

hoppyending OP t1_jabe909 wrote

I think I misunderstood u/r7-arr’s comment. Yes I’m planning to put fire blocking between the interior wall and exterior wall at the top plate. I don’t think any other fire blocks are necessary in Ontario for interior walls.

Edit: My understanding is that fire code Sheetrock is acceptable, so the comment about my framing being incorrect didn’t make sense.

Edit #2: 1/2” Sheetrock is apparently acceptable according to 9.10.16.3. I don’t even have to buy the fire code stuff.

r7-arr t1_jachv1o wrote

The sheetrock or plywood should be between your top plate and extend to the sill plate. The seam between the sill plate and the sheetrock or plywood should be caulked with fire blocking caulk. Once you finish your walls and ceiling, you will have created a massive chimney for any fire unless you put up the blocking.

MinkOWar t1_jabhz29 wrote

9.10.16.2 is the relevant article, and they are filling the wall with insulation, so fireblocking is not required between the wall and floor inside a dwelling unit.

ZhanZhuang t1_jabfm7x wrote

I thought you only had to have that for walls higher than 8 ft.