Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

New_Engine_7237 t1_ja16xiz wrote

Looks more like a settlement crack. I would expect to see a perfectly straight line and expansion joint material in the joint. Too many irregularities in the crack to be made on purpose.

You may find the tile will also crack over time if the slab continues to shift.

Scav54 OP t1_ja181ij wrote

It has a white plastic strip embedded in it. The irregularities come from Thinset that was used to fill the crack a long time ago it seems.

New_Engine_7237 t1_ja18ijj wrote

Saw someone else mention some kind of membrane. Not familiar with that although I have seen Mike Holmes use an orange material that gets thinset to the floor then the tile laid on that.

Scav54 OP t1_ja1a52l wrote

Schluter ditra. Was going to use that but the tile needs to be at least 2x2 which this one isn’t. Might have to change the tile I use

New_Engine_7237 t1_ja1afy9 wrote

Even if your tile comes on the mesh backing? Doesn’t look like individual tiles.

zedsmith t1_ja35574 wrote

Both ditra and kerdi board require at least a 2x2 tile to get the warranty from schluter. Both substrates aren’t stiff enough to resist the point load that could result from weight on small tiles.

When you get bigger tiles, the tiles themselves, and the thicker thinset bed, make for a stiffer assembly.