Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Roundaboutsix t1_ja9ek0l wrote

100% correct. I’ve removed hundreds of old boards covered in lead paint, without wearing any protective gear, unless the paint is breaking up and peeling. If you’re talking about sanding old paint, then PPE is a must. Just pryng off an old board and tossing it in your truck bed, shouldn’t be an issue.

Revolutionary_Tale17 t1_ja9mobm wrote

Lead paint isn't a big issue but asbestos is. My uncle never thought much about it till he found he had mesothelioma at 55. I would never screw around trying to deal with asbestos.

HerandBelle t1_jaa6wob wrote

Did your uncle do a single renovation around asbestos, or did he work in it his entire adult life?

FreeDig1758 t1_jaa8s4l wrote

That's just it. We remodeled our kitchen. When I was in the attic it was blown in insulation. Cool.

Then we ripped down the kitchen cupboards and soffit but the soffit false ceiling caved and guess what was buried under a foot and a half of blown in? Vermiculite.

That shit dumped all over us.

I could be dead in 20 years or I could get nothing. Who knows

amboogalard t1_jab6ybw wrote

I learned recently that only the vermiculite mined in Libby, Montana contained asbestos. Granted, it was a large mine, but the other sources of vermiculite around the world and in the US are by and large asbestos free, or sometimes come up trace positive.

So this could either be very reassuring or much more distressing, depending on your proximity to Libby, Montana.

FreeDig1758 t1_jacf55t wrote

I had it tested and it was asbestos. Surprisingly the 9x9 tiles under the carpet were asbestos free.