Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

gerd50501 t1_j0u4w6e wrote

what is it like in iraq now? what do your parents say how it compares to under saddam. there are videos on the web of saddam having people thrown off buildings. taking sledge hammers and bashing their hands. Lots of reports of torture.

does it matter if you are a sunni or a shia? The sunni supported Saddam. Shia/Kurds were far more repressed. Are you sunni or shia? I dont think any of the Kurds miss trump.

Mustafaskyrim t1_j0v7l7y wrote

I’ll try to answer your questions My parents hated Saddam’s rule I was discussing tha subject the other day and we concluded and summarized it in a sentence If you think you get killed If you try to be someone the government doesn’t want you to be for the slightest bit You get punished

It does matter now Not in terms of getting killed But in terms of being scared the whole time for yourself and your family so you play your life extra safe You don’t risk anything So you live your life inside a bubble you created and keep lying to yourself that everything will be okay So no dreams or anything Idk what i’m saying or typing right now I’m just writing the first things that comes to my mind so sorry if it’s incomprehensible Tldr : I think nowadays it’s better in terms of quality of life things Like internet ,food and such But in terms of the country? It’s a shitshow 140 billion dollar a year goes to surrounding countries and nothing gets built or given to the iraqi people Curse of the black gold huh

gerd50501 t1_j0w4jk7 wrote

get into politics and change things. you could not do that under saddam.

Mustafaskyrim t1_j0w749p wrote

And you can't do that now either It reached the point of corruption that if a guy is doing good deeds to people Either get killed or defamed in a matter so disgusting The only change we are hoping for is from outside (US involvment or such)

nova9001 t1_j0urga0 wrote

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2018/04/30/605240844/15-years-after-u-s-invasion-some-iraqis-are-nostalgic-for-saddam-hussein-era

>"Those who came after haven't improved the infrastructure, they haven't built anything, they haven't done anything for the people," says Jabouri. "Saddam's was a brutal regime. But now, I really regret hitting the statue."

When the new Iraqi government is such a shit show the locals prefer Saddam Hussein.

Everytime US invades a country they install a pro US government that does jack shit for the locals. Same thing with Afghan where the locals rather choose Taliban.

−2

gerd50501 t1_j0v1vgw wrote

no. only Sunni locals prefer Saddam. Sunnis are 20% of the population. Saddam had an apartheid government. you dont know anything. 80% of the population who are Shia and Kurds do not want Saddam back.

you are just stereotyping people since you do not know anything. The headline is literally "some iraqis". Some of the 20% of iraqis who are Sunnis. ISIS was 100% Sunnis and supported in Sunni areas. They targed Shia and Kurds.

you literally dont know anything and are making excusing for a murdering dictator cause you hate america so much.

Your lack of understanding about Iraq and how its really 3 different ethnic groups (with some smaller groups) and not really 1 country that is united. Shows western bias.

nova9001 t1_j0vlkjo wrote

Interview with actual Iraqis don't matter but your word with no source matters. Who's the one having a lack of understanding here?