Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_iv7ajoy wrote

Hi jamesftw! Dont worry, this message does not mean that your post is removed. This is a reminder to quickly check your post to make sure it doesnt break any of our rules. Human moderators check the following --

Thanks!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Dismal_Fig3369 t1_iv7axlp wrote

Reminds me of the Death Star for some reason

SuMi_42 t1_iv7cwr7 wrote

Stunning view & shot OP

mortredclay t1_iv7t9yp wrote

Where I'm from moonrises at sunset are full moons by definition. I assume because you're so far north that is not true all the time?

hasenergy t1_iv810v6 wrote

Is the sky and moon here replaced or is this all the same photo/event? Either way, incredible.

imjeffp t1_iv8mcdk wrote

You're right. I'm pretty sure this a composite image. Moonrise at sunset is a full moon--always. Also, when the moon is near the horizon, the terminator is side-to-side, not up and down as here.

AlexBlackburnPhoto t1_iv8q905 wrote

Always is a pretty strong word my dude 😂😂 especially when moon rise is depending on position of the earth when it rises across whatever your horizon line is, your elevation

mortredclay t1_iv9ul29 wrote

Yeah, composite was my first thought. Then I started thinking about sunrise and sunset in extreme northern parts of the earth and noticed no snow on the mountains indicating summertime. This sunset could be happening at 11:30 PM, which could lead to a non full moon rising at sunset.

Lordofthecanoes t1_ivc1pyd wrote

Great critical thinking skills. I took a (not as good) similar photo on July 11 at 9:43 PM not far from where this one was taken. As soon as I saw this photo I was reminded of mine and wondered if it was taken the same evening