Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ilovepowernapping OP t1_j29lx53 wrote

Ficus means fig. From Wiki:

'Common English names for the plant and its fruit are Indian fig opuntia, Barbary fig, cactus pear, prickly pear, and spineless cactus, among many others.'

I was confused, because in my native language (German) the plant is simply called 'Kaktusfeige' (meaning, well, 'Cactus fig').

letdogsvote t1_j29nyug wrote

You can find prickly pear fruit in the US in the store from time to time. You can also grow them with the right climate - in Arizona for instance they go crazy.

Definitely not a "fig" but a cactus fruit. Kinda sweet, kinda like a kiwi inside maybe, very purple red and the juice stains really bad. Have to peel them as the outside skin is tough and can have spines.

Edit: Bonus random Google image pic

Thelastsaburai t1_j2act92 wrote

Some people call the fruits tuna. No idea where all these names come from, but it definitely has a whole lot of them

PM-ME-DEM-NUDES-GIRL t1_j2d9tu5 wrote

they just explained that it's called a cactus fig in their language. it's true of more than one European language

psychosnyder t1_j29pwp8 wrote

Ficus can also mean hemorrhoids in English, but primarily refers to a type of tree that is a common house plant in USA, due to the ease of which you can airlayer the roots, and is sometimes used as an assignment in horticulture classes.

Figs in USA is the fruit Fig or an abbreviated representation of the word figures.

I do not know latin. What I do know is that I have never met anyone in the USA that calls them anything other than Prickly Pears or Nopales, which is how they would be labeled in a store here. I also deal with them often, and have three growing in pots next to me.

I-melted t1_j2eukr5 wrote

Everyone is getting hung up on the bloody figs. Its typical internet stupidity.

It’s a lovely picture! I can’t wait to go to Sardinia. If there’s a bunch of people in the world that knows more about food than the rest of us, it’s the Sardinians.

KnotiaPickles t1_j2c67r9 wrote

Interesting to learn the other translations of that! Thank you :)