Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AheadHesitate t1_j67da8v wrote

Never been to Australia, I honestly assume it is mostly beach and drylands.

Very cool to see something that reminds me of home here in New Hampshire!

−3

TheLesserWeeviI t1_j689hus wrote

As an Aussie, who the fuck downvoted this?

dragontattman t1_j6alzz5 wrote

Fellow Australian here, to try and shed some light on your query: I believe reddit has many users that we Aussies would refer to as "fucktards".

These people get offended when they see evidence that goes against something that they already had a preconceived idea about.

These people don't want to learn anything. They just want to be content that they are very clever, and can not be proven wrong on anything.

When a fucktard reddit user who believes that all of Australia is a desert with a rock in the middle, and a town with a bridge on the right , sees a comment that proves this is not the case, .....that really stings. Because for a split second before they downvote the comment, they allow the feeling of doubt to slip in. They are forced to ask themselves the question: " if I've been wrong about this, is there a chance that there are other things I could be wrong about?"

But then they downvote the comment, and feel better about themselves.

Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

StormThestral t1_j67x7mo wrote

We have more types of landscape here than you could imagine and also the second tallest tree in the world after the one in California :) we do have a lot of amazing beaches as well though

PocketSandThroatKick t1_j68cmn5 wrote

What tree?

shniken t1_j68eyy9 wrote

Mountain ash, it is actually arguably taller than redwoods. But all the tall specimens have been cut down

flexibeast t1_j68gqsu wrote

Centurion is a mountain ash, but yeah, depending on how you define 'tall', the average height of extant mountain ash in Australia is significantly reduced from what it once was.

Charlatangle t1_j688hw8 wrote

Latitude is the biggest determinant of climate, and Australia spans about 2,250 miles of latitude. Hence, varied climate.

My state alone has more forested land than any US state, but I don't think any of it would remind you of home.

GoonMcnasty t1_j688tpz wrote

I live in Victoria and about a month ago I got stuck in a mall for about 45 minutes because it wouldn't stop pissing it down raining.