Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

duke_awapuhi t1_j79xut6 wrote

If you ever get the chance to go to Molokai, you have to take the pilgrimage down to Kalaupapa. You traverse down those cliffs on 26 switchbacks, and enter what used to be a “leper colony” starting in about the 1870’s. Today we call leprosy Hansen’s Disease, and there are still a dozen or so patients with Hansen’s Disease who live in the Kalaupapa settlement. You will get to meet at least one of the patients (you cannot catch the disease just from meeting and shaking hands with a person who has it). You tour around the whole Kalaupapa peninsula, and it’s just an incredible experience. 10/10. Down to one of the most isolated communities In the world. If you are catholic, I recommend the journey even more strongly, and you’ll see why once you get there.

Bring lots of water, you have to hike back up the trail afterwards. You used to be able to take a mule or horse down, but I dont think they have that option right now. For those who are not fit enough to make the hike, you can also fly into the peninsula (you aren’t allowed to stay the night), but if you are able to do the hike, I recommend it. The views are amazing. Those are the only two ways in and out of the Kalaupapa settlement. Once the last Hansen’s disease patient dies, it will become a national park that’s much more accessible.

My_brother_in_crisis t1_j7adwzn wrote

>you cannot catch the disease just from meeting and shaking hands with a person who has it

Well how can I catch it? You're holding out on us and I'm in a hurry!