Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WhiteRaven42 t1_jblrt24 wrote

No.

You weren't serious, were you? Life is too fucking short to waste time and spend it miserable. FFS. What a terrible suggestion.

You might as well tell me it builds character.

RideRunClimb t1_jbm4azi wrote

Well, it does. I'm not going to tell you to get on a bike, because I think commuting on a bike is a stupid risk to take. But subjecting yourself to suffering does "build character" i.e. it makes you both physically and mentally more resilient to stress.

WhiteRaven42 t1_jbmpa5r wrote

Never once has anyone unironically used the phrase "it builds character" for anything other than privation or bullying. I said it as a joke because it is always a joke.

The concept is only used to excuse cruelty. Life contains challenges and we learn from them yes. We certainly don't need to create challenges and foist them on people.

theluckyfrog t1_jbmxmvj wrote

>>We certainly don't need to create challenges and force them on people

Ironically, that is exactly what climate change is doing to millions (billions?) of people.

RideRunClimb t1_jbmyx8q wrote

I've literally never heard it in that context. So whatever man lol go be miserable and run from opportunities to grow yourself in the name of comfort.

[deleted] t1_jbmgcf3 wrote

I actually really like this statement. People have gotten very soft.

−1

DoctorBlock t1_jbouxv1 wrote

The softest people in the world are always the ones talking about how soft people are.

theluckyfrog t1_jbmxgdy wrote

I mean, I work at a city hospital and I see at least 20 employees come in by bike every day, even in the ice, snow, rain, etc. Since they do it voluntarily, I doubt they feel they're suffering.

Me, I walk to work. In all of the above weather. I just wear layers. No appreciable suffering.

Tech_Philosophy t1_jboe3p3 wrote

> Life is too fucking short to waste time and spend it miserable.

Not OP, but suffering comes from within. The folks in Minneapolis seem to have no issues biking during the winter. Damn cheerful people.

I think there are other ways to help the climate besides biking in the snow, but the objection here is even more trivial than the initial suggestion was.