Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DatSauceTho t1_jdcwsbf wrote

He revolutionized phone books? The thing that people stopped using like 15 years ago? Tf are you talking about?

ValyrianJedi t1_jdcxilg wrote

Almost like they stopped using it for a reason or something... Yeah, the guy created the first online city guide that functioned as an online phone book, wrote the software himself, and grew it into a $300m company before selling to Compaq in 1999. Zip2 was the company... Thats where he got the money to make x/paypal. Which is where he got the money to start tesla and SpaceX

DatSauceTho t1_jdcyt4v wrote

A city guide is not a phone book. Nor is it the reason people stopped using them. But alright whatever.

ValyrianJedi t1_jdczccf wrote

It was literally marketed as a replacement for phone books and functioned as a phone book with more information and resources.

DatSauceTho t1_jdczr5a wrote

Yeah alright. But don’t say he revolutionized this thing or that thing. He didn’t. He came from a wealthy family, made more money, and invested in other companies that made even more money. Stop acting like this dude Toby Stark or something. This is the same dude that somehow found a way to make twitter an even bigger dumpster fire. So there’s that.

ValyrianJedi t1_jdd0cw3 wrote

So now you're jumping to some entirely different argument to complain about. Kinda sounds like you just weren't aware that zip2 existed and are now scrambling to refuse to admit you were wrong... Also having a really tough time figuring out how you think "he came from a wealthy family" means that he isn't Tony Stark... Think thats my cue to stop responding to you.

DatSauceTho t1_jdd2bh0 wrote

You’re reading comprehension is clearly shit. My whole point from the beginning is that he hasn’t revolutionized anything. That’s why I called Zip2 into question. No, I don’t know wtf that is or I wouldn’t have asked. But hey, if you enjoy publicly sucking off wealthy tax dodgers who take away from public funds and programs, by all means. Just do us all a favor and take it to twitter where that bullshit belongs.

I’m sure your idol will appreciate it.

0reoSpeedwagon t1_jderv9s wrote

I mean, the fact that basically nobody remembers Zip2 in 2023 really speaks to just how revolutionary it was.