Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Working_Berry9307 t1_isyk5q4 wrote

"Always" is a very strong word. Do you think humans would be necessary on the battlefield even in a million years of advanced tech? What about 1000? Shit, look where we were 100 years ago to now, so you think humans on the battlefield even have 100 years?

Even if this tech isn't reliable right now, I find it hard to believe it won't outpace the average soldier in just a couple decades, let alone 30 to 40 more years after that

TheKnightIsForPlebs t1_iszv2po wrote

Okay sure yea. Millions of years. I’d like to think humans will entirely become obsolete.

A couple of decades I promise a well trained soldier will still have a place on the battlefield. I’m sure there are tons of things this tech already surpasses human soldiers now. But the job you perform as an infantryman is inherently chaotic. It is one of the most chaotic situations you can find yourself in. Computer programs rely on reliable patterns and generalized input. And yes I acknowledge the whole point of AGI is to expand that exact “bandwidth” of acceptable input when a machine performs problem solving/decision making. But EVEN then we start to step into some other issues like mobility. The human body can do A LOT. Swim. Dive. Jump out a plane. Climb rubble. Crawl. All sorts of things. Battlefield’s are not flat terrain. Yes. Tanks are treaded. This robot is treaded. There will be applications. But when it comes down to it someone’s gotta clear that building, trench, tunnel, or bunker, it’ll be booby trapped to all hell and full of obstacles along the way. The human’s body + will power is unstoppable, while machines can be tricked/cheesed. You also have to consider that a fully autonomous/robotic military brings new problems. Modern military’s are slowly learning the importance of EW/electronic warfare. Something as simple as bringing your cell phone on deployment and opening it without being on airplane mode will give away your position + anyone with you to pretty much anyone. These machines in the original post are not autonomous. They are manned remotely. This means they are producing a massive electronic signal that the enemy can use to pinpoint their movement. With all the missile/artillery/fixed wing/rotary wing assets available to the world (even isis has helicopters and missiles) a location is all you need. Point being: given how precise weapons have become: stay undetected is easily the most important umbrella skill an infantryman can have. Don’t start a fire, even if you’re cold, don’t leave ANY trash behind when camping out and moving around in country, sleep and stash equipment outside of aerial/satellite/drone observation under tarps or trees etc. Autonomous or unmanned robot soldiers will certainly not be able to hide their position more effectively than a human for a long long time. And as we discussed once you’re position is known the enemy has a buffet of options to choose how they are going to blow you the guck up with ease and precision.

I will say though, I think kill drones will be used and highly effective. When we need to clear out a city that is hot with minimal civilians. A situation like Fallujah where we airdropped pamphlets saying we were going to storm the city and to GTFO if you were a civilian. We do that shit. We send in thousands of weaponized drones (think of a Suicide drone that flies) to just go in and kill anything that moves. That would be much more effective than attempting to shell a city (never works to completion, the human spirit is unrelenting and people will just hide in the rubble like roaches -> this is were methodical kill drones could be useful)

In short. AI “soldiers” unlikely in our lifetime to supersede normal troops. AI kill bots definitely have a seat at the table though. Given that they are employed in situations with lax ROE’s (basically none). I imagine killer drone swarm tech is probably already in R&D/early production.

Edit: I rambled on a lot