Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

pete_68 t1_isu08fz wrote

Imagine the Boston Dynamics Cheetah Robot on the battlefield. No weapons. Just the bot. Get him to correctly identify the enemy and then let him just run full-speed at them until impact, Then go after the next. A 70lb metal box hitting your legs at 30mph is going to take you out of the fight, even if it doesn't kill you. Add spikes and armor...

That's the nightmare future I see.

Beautifulblueocean t1_isu5bzt wrote

Just weld a couple samurai swords to the front like a triceratops.

Behrusu t1_isufcwx wrote

Let them swarm through the trenches in Ukraine. It would be pretty effective

Omnizoom t1_isuj2zy wrote

You assume the Russians even bothered with trenches for there infantry

UnblurredLines t1_isukgcr wrote

They dug some trenches in the forest outside Chernobyl anyway, somewhat ill-advised.

Ricksterdinium t1_isvfinh wrote

Is test of radiation into topsoil with buttcheek.

Buttcheek got warm.

numba1cyberwarrior t1_iswv0a8 wrote

Infantry dig trenches themselves, if your not doing anything your always digging

UmbraPenumbra t1_isu8g0x wrote

William Gibson's slamhound from Count Zero.

Cheetah w/ face & gait recognition, dampened near silent actuators, and a 5 lb shaped charge in it's face.

pete_68 t1_isuczes wrote

Couldn't imagine that I would be the first with the idea... It was one of the first things I thought of when I first saw the Cheetah bot years ago. "Imagine that thing running into a person at full speed. Ouch."

kneedeepco t1_isuavgp wrote

I mean at this point it looks like we'll just have robot battles

YsoL8 t1_isuu0h8 wrote

Yep. Anyone who fails to transition is effectively sending men out to die pointlessly. (Mature) Drone infantry will out distance them, out manevour them and likely attack at speeds below their ability to react. They have no morale to break, minimal need to stop and much better logistics.

The traditional infantry man will be reduced to some sort of combined drone commander and tech support. The force multiplier is enormous.

numba1cyberwarrior t1_iswv2bw wrote

That has an absolutely horrific consequence for power. You dont need the masses to retain your military anymore

BMonad t1_isw737a wrote

I’ve always thought this was an interesting concept. It’s not difficult to imagine a future where wars are waged with tech, either remotely controlled or AI “bots”, and the idea of human soldiers would be antiquated as bringing a knight on a horse to a modern battlefield. They would just be shredded like insects. So much would change and it’s difficult to foresee how it would all play out but warfare would be much more covert and technology driven.

Caldwing t1_isxl61g wrote

Yeah I think the time of people on the battle field (except as victims) has a time limit. In fact I think the end might be closer than most imagine. The first time we see a battle somewhere with regular forces vs a combined arms, semi-autonomous force, the slaughter will have militaries around the world scrambling like mad to transition.

These days a computer can scan a battlefield across multiple spectra, identify targets, and engage them, all before a human would blink. One of the least believable but incredibly common sci-fi tropes is people winning against highly developed machines. There is just no way if the weaponry available to each is otherwise equal.

FingerTheCat t1_isubq1z wrote

Nope one side will have them first and enslave everyone else

Dhiox t1_isusxaa wrote

You forget MAD. All weapons pale in comparison to nukes.

huzernayme t1_isvyaug wrote

Unless you simultaneously deploy swarms of drone swarms that destroy all your enemies nukes before the robot guns go in.

Dhiox t1_isw0jg4 wrote

Thats not possible. No way to stop every nuke, our enemies don't even know where all our nukes are

squirtloaf t1_isuiqfw wrote

I meaaaaan, have you ever watched the Black Mirror episode METAL HEAD?

RedScud t1_isvio5h wrote

Robots will probably never be a threat in that sense... They have extremely delicate components and electronics, and no practical way to make them bulletproof (armor thick enough would be extremely heavy) so military rifles would shred the Boston dynamics one and the metal head even more

huzernayme t1_isvy11w wrote

Why would you think that? They have 'delicate' components because it doesn't make sense and is not safe to do research on something like an autonomous tank with deadly weapons. They also are focusing on actually getting a baseline robot working before a robotic war machine. You dont start with the robotic war machine first. You can take what you learn on small scales and apply it to larger robots that can carry armor, or just retrofit a tank to be autonomous.

RedScud t1_iswo4ik wrote

Hold on, who said anything about autonomous tanks? This thread started with the idea that the Boston dynamic type robot would just charge you down easily. And then the metal head dog. I'm saying those formats are not viable, not for now anyway.

huzernayme t1_isx47xd wrote

Ok, I see now. The discussion is limited to robots that walk on 4 legs and tracks are not allowed. In that case, you could just scale up the 4 legged thing to allow enough power to carry armor. There are some companies with mech like robots large and powerful enough to carry the wieght. Electronics have been everywhere from underwater to outerspace so I don't think fragility is the issue, we know how to protect them.

RedScud t1_isx5mel wrote

I was quite specifically answering the whole. "Boston dynamics" robot running you over like you can't shoot full metal jackets into it and completely obliterate their electronic insides from a distance. The 4 legged thing from black mirror is even smaller in size so even less armor. That's all, not saying autonomous fighting vehicles as a whole are impossible, just not Terminator now

Betadzen t1_isua3fk wrote

Cavalry is historically countered by spikes and ranged weaponry. But having a robotic melee trophy hanging above the fireplace is brutal.

zebrahdh t1_isui5pm wrote

Imagine trying to tell a human not to shoot you and they do it anyway.

PancakeExprationDate t1_isv28m3 wrote

> Imagine the Boston Dynamics Cheetah Robot on the battlefield. No weapons. Just the bot. Get him to correctly identify the enemy and then let him just run full-speed at them until impact, Then go after the next. A 70lb metal box hitting your legs at 30mph is going to take you out of the fight, even if it doesn't kill you. Add spikes and armor...

That is terrifying

TheKnightIsForPlebs t1_iswwca9 wrote

Identifying friend/foe will be exceptionally difficult. I was in the infantry, shit ain’t easy. And we already are aware of some exceptionally simple and economic ways to spoof image recognition software…so tasking out this problem to computers just adds me problems.

If we are talking about autonomous killer drones. That would work. If it’s total war and we’re sweeping a city. Sure. Fuck it. Send the robot instead of a human. But there will always be a need for precise and professional operators on the ground.

deminion48 t1_isxs1sq wrote

Blue Force Tracking. Anything else: Spot.KILL

Working_Berry9307 t1_isyk5q4 wrote

"Always" is a very strong word. Do you think humans would be necessary on the battlefield even in a million years of advanced tech? What about 1000? Shit, look where we were 100 years ago to now, so you think humans on the battlefield even have 100 years?

Even if this tech isn't reliable right now, I find it hard to believe it won't outpace the average soldier in just a couple decades, let alone 30 to 40 more years after that

TheKnightIsForPlebs t1_iszv2po wrote

Okay sure yea. Millions of years. I’d like to think humans will entirely become obsolete.

A couple of decades I promise a well trained soldier will still have a place on the battlefield. I’m sure there are tons of things this tech already surpasses human soldiers now. But the job you perform as an infantryman is inherently chaotic. It is one of the most chaotic situations you can find yourself in. Computer programs rely on reliable patterns and generalized input. And yes I acknowledge the whole point of AGI is to expand that exact “bandwidth” of acceptable input when a machine performs problem solving/decision making. But EVEN then we start to step into some other issues like mobility. The human body can do A LOT. Swim. Dive. Jump out a plane. Climb rubble. Crawl. All sorts of things. Battlefield’s are not flat terrain. Yes. Tanks are treaded. This robot is treaded. There will be applications. But when it comes down to it someone’s gotta clear that building, trench, tunnel, or bunker, it’ll be booby trapped to all hell and full of obstacles along the way. The human’s body + will power is unstoppable, while machines can be tricked/cheesed. You also have to consider that a fully autonomous/robotic military brings new problems. Modern military’s are slowly learning the importance of EW/electronic warfare. Something as simple as bringing your cell phone on deployment and opening it without being on airplane mode will give away your position + anyone with you to pretty much anyone. These machines in the original post are not autonomous. They are manned remotely. This means they are producing a massive electronic signal that the enemy can use to pinpoint their movement. With all the missile/artillery/fixed wing/rotary wing assets available to the world (even isis has helicopters and missiles) a location is all you need. Point being: given how precise weapons have become: stay undetected is easily the most important umbrella skill an infantryman can have. Don’t start a fire, even if you’re cold, don’t leave ANY trash behind when camping out and moving around in country, sleep and stash equipment outside of aerial/satellite/drone observation under tarps or trees etc. Autonomous or unmanned robot soldiers will certainly not be able to hide their position more effectively than a human for a long long time. And as we discussed once you’re position is known the enemy has a buffet of options to choose how they are going to blow you the guck up with ease and precision.

I will say though, I think kill drones will be used and highly effective. When we need to clear out a city that is hot with minimal civilians. A situation like Fallujah where we airdropped pamphlets saying we were going to storm the city and to GTFO if you were a civilian. We do that shit. We send in thousands of weaponized drones (think of a Suicide drone that flies) to just go in and kill anything that moves. That would be much more effective than attempting to shell a city (never works to completion, the human spirit is unrelenting and people will just hide in the rubble like roaches -> this is were methodical kill drones could be useful)

In short. AI “soldiers” unlikely in our lifetime to supersede normal troops. AI kill bots definitely have a seat at the table though. Given that they are employed in situations with lax ROE’s (basically none). I imagine killer drone swarm tech is probably already in R&D/early production.

Edit: I rambled on a lot

esodankic t1_isv8lkt wrote

What I wonder about is if both sides have equal drones. Does war become reduced to battlebots? Or do the drones start attacking infrastructure essentially targeting the populace at large?

GDawnHackSign t1_isv3v49 wrote

I suppose, though could this already be done with a vehicle?

pete_68 t1_isv8f18 wrote

Vehicles are much easier to shoot. A nimble medium dog-sized creature moving at 30mph is not an easy target.

thehalfwhiteguy t1_isv3rn8 wrote

oh yeah? well in the nightmare future I envision, I’ll be a cannibal warlord ruling over a barren fiefdom where mutant survivors scavenge for the bones of those having perished in the BEFORE WARS to then suck them dry of their marrow in the hopes they’re sustained enough that their overgrown flesh sack of an “eye” lives to see another day. but that’s just me.

GeminiKoil t1_isvas30 wrote

I'm hoping to already be the bones in this scenario

SupremeNachos t1_isv7k5k wrote

BF2042 might be a shit game, but they sure predicted the future.

Billsolson t1_isvjcwl wrote

Imagine when the billionaires get them, all armed up, and they lay claim to a section of prime public land adjacent to their property for their personal use while you fight it out in court for a decade.

K9 Killer keeping out the riff raff away the whole time.

Amount_Business t1_itim53x wrote

Or the opposite. Enables uprising from resourceful commoners. Eat the ritch.

Beenforevertiltoday t1_isvtscu wrote

You should read Snowcrash. That description is of the dog thing as the books call it.

sighbourbon t1_isxo3ik wrote

In Gibson's Count Zero didn't the hero's brother have "augmented guard dogs" that were grafted to mechanical hoods?

Beenforevertiltoday t1_isxqicf wrote

I have not read that book by Gibson, him and Stephenson always seem to have similar thoughts though. It is funny in both of their essay books they have an essay about their experiences with the other one.

tungvu256 t1_isw355c wrote

The doggo robo can only lasts 30 mins. At full speed, maybe 10 mins, so I wouldn't worry about killer robo doggo, yet.

pete_68 t1_isw3yxt wrote

10 minutes is enough time to cover 3 miles. That's enough time to turn it on a mile away from the enemy, have it run over to them, take out several soldiers and run back. And that's just today's tech. More batteries just adds more weight which means more damage.

Orc_ t1_isuyb10 wrote

None of you have ever explained why this is a "Nightmare" future outside fantasies like terminator.

Robots replace manned vehicles meaning there's overall less people in war.

Apis_Proboscis t1_isw39wg wrote

Artificial Intelligence.

Those terminator fantasies are not as far away as you think.

Api

Starkrall t1_isw89s3 wrote

We're gonna go from dystopian capalist society to whole ass grimdark real quick.

deminion48 t1_isxqvqd wrote

You say what, the same military (Netherlands) with an article about their spot robot, lol. Only some programming left to do and add some "modifications" to the design!

https://magazines.defensie.nl/defensiekrant/2021/29/01_robothond-spot_29

Besides, robots were not uncommon before. The bomb disposal unit also always had various robots, their special forces use things like throw bots as well. And of course drones. From those large reaper drones, to small Loki drones to clear houses and the Black Hornet mini drones and anything inbetween.

On top of all that, besides this THeMis tracked UGV (unmanned ground vehicle), they are also working with the Rheinmetall Mission Master SP, which is a wheeled UGV that can also be armed.

https://magazines.defensie.nl/defensiekrant/2020/45/03_mission-master_45

Your_Trash_Daddy t1_isujq83 wrote

So let's see how the scorecard looks:

• Killer autonomous/remotely controlled robots? Check.

• Massive orbital satellite system that can control connected devices from space? Check.

• AI evolving at an exponential rate? Check.

SkyNet? Any minute now.

MrValdemar t1_isvl8i6 wrote

You forgot: living skin grown in a lab specifically for the purpose of being fitted over prosthetics (or robotics)? Check.

lucidrage t1_iswpp2g wrote

What about the new COVID virus they made in a Boston lab?

−5

IamAJediMaster t1_isu62pe wrote

I just watched terminator so I'm pretty familiar with what we need to do now.

Same-Joke t1_isulvwf wrote

Wait you don’t mean what I think you mean do you? Just to clarify you’re talking about boning John Connors mom right?

IamAJediMaster t1_isupvsh wrote

Exactly, find Sarah Connor, change the future. Lol no, I just mean the destroy the machines part.

LeNavigateur t1_isu7vow wrote

This is the road to the Faro plague. Are we ever gonna learn anything from video games?!

NamelessTacoShop t1_isvgc09 wrote

Thankfully this is just a remote control car with a gun. A far cry from an autonomous fighting machine.

imalwayslate11 t1_isuuv0r wrote

Well, at least this things will just kill…they won’t rape, torture and take your gold teeth…

lucidrage t1_iswpkhf wrote

They might rape your dead body for biofuel though

Rektumfreser t1_isxdhb3 wrote

And there it is..what an awful day to have a wild imagination

PM_ME_A_PLANE_TICKET t1_isu7d6r wrote

I want to believe this is some great feat of engineering and technical design, but it looks like a .50 cal machine gun welded to some tracks.

peq15 t1_isuyznm wrote

If we look back at WWI-era armor, it was very rudimentary and unrefined, with the primary goal of providing defense against small arms to the operators. In the future, as these platforms mature we should see designs which account for the threats of heavy weapons, ewar, and guided munitions. Only then, and when budgets allow, will we see the true manifestation of what was previously science fiction on the battlefield.

Omnizoom t1_isujg8a wrote

I mean it is but I think it’s entirely autonomous meaning it doesn’t need any human to even control it if need be

Test19s t1_isu4rt4 wrote

Ideally killer robots and drones would be used in bot vs. bot jousting to reduce casualties, but I have no doubt that certain countries will use them against civilians or infrastructure. The goal of war is to incapacitate your opponent, not to defeat them like a Pokémon rival.

pete_68 t1_isucfch wrote

I'm sure Iran would love them for crowd control.

jeejee70 t1_isuubuq wrote

The Dutch statement says:

"Dit is een op afstand bestuurbaar rupsvoertuig" ("This is a remote controlled tracked vehicle"), so no autonomous killer robot, but just an rc with a gun mounted on it ... Dutchies do not allow autonomous weaponized robots

Badfickle t1_isxxbfv wrote

>Dutchies do not allow autonomous weaponized robots

yet

mossadnik OP t1_isu00my wrote

Submission Statement:

>“We have deployed four weaponised [unmanned] machines within an operational experiment”, told Lieutenant Colonel Sjoerd Mevissen, commander of the Royal Netherlands Army's Robotics and Autonomous System. “To my knowledge, we have not seen this before in the West…the machines have been handed over for experimental use in an operational unit in a military-relevant environment. These are not simply tests on a training ground. We are under the direct eyes and ears of the Russians, and as such in a semi-operational environment.”

>The machine-gun-toting robots aren’t the first the world has ever seen. Estonia first deployed an unarmed version of THeMIS in Mali in 2019. This Russian MoD confirmed it deployed armed UGVs in Syria in 2018. Iran has also been developing its own UGVs and showed off its Heidair-1 on social media in 2019. Iran’s small beetle-like drone seems designed to roll under tanks and APCs and explode.

>Both Russia’s Uran-9 and Estonia’s THeMIS are bigger and can carry more deadly equipment. The Uran-9 is capable of carrying a 30mm 2A72 automatic cannon and four 9M120-1 Ataka anti-tank guided missiles, which makes it look like a frightening and deadly killer robot. However, early reports indicate that Russia's UGV didn’t work well in Syria and repeatedly lost connection to its controller.

>During the summer, a video of a robot dog with an assault rifle strapped to its back went viral on the internet. Earlier this month, Boston Dynamics promised it wouldn’t weaponize its brand of robot dogs. The video was creepy and Boston Dynamics’ sentiment was aimed at calming down the public, but the truth is that killer ground robots are already here and that the world’s militaries aren’t interested in strapping a gun to the back of a quadruped even if they might have other uses on a near-future battlefield.

>Gun-toting killer ground robots were always going to look like what the Dutch have deployed and what the Russian’s tested in Syria—little tanks bristling with guns and absent humans.

Test19s t1_isu5917 wrote

Killer robots may reduce combatant casualties, but I do not want to think about the damage to civilians or infrastructure that would come from some warlord or terrorist with a 100% loyal drone army limited in size only by his bank account.

FingerTheCat t1_isubt6s wrote

I have a feeling emps will be a little more popular when whole armies are a thing

archibald_claymore t1_isulk0b wrote

Would have to be pretty serious charges, insulation is a thing

smurficus103 t1_isux1qe wrote

Faraday cage has to be thick enough not to melt from the amperage

Emp are basically explosives

1Guanocrazycaucasian t1_isu5o7a wrote

Let’s get the THeMIS and Mr HIMARS to meet, wonder what kind of missile babies will be born.

Test19s t1_isu63ue wrote

Every day I thank Allah for remaking me into an obsessive Transformers fan in 2019. I’m ready for this decade.

1Guanocrazycaucasian t1_isu7d08 wrote

For sure. Things getting very interesting around the world

Test19s t1_isu82by wrote

Obviously it’s different for people with families, but as a single guy I’m just riding the wave in the birth decade of Optimus Prime! (Adam Savage met him recently on YouTube)

1Guanocrazycaucasian t1_isuaqfc wrote

Nice on Adam Savage. I’m 49 and grew up with Transformers and G I Joes. The guy who voiced Duke in the original series, my son got me his autograph and signed it, From one Duke to another Yo Joe. My nickname is also Duke. Let’s make some Dino Bots.

Test19s t1_isub01z wrote

I was born right as G1 faded from consciousness in my country, and by the time Bumblebee came back to my country I had graduated high school. So I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

DonovanWrites t1_isusjlp wrote

Story tellers need to be taken more seriously. This sort of stuff is clearly a massive net negative for humanity.

canadianredditor16 t1_isu4xqq wrote

Congrats to Estonia and the kingdom of the Netherlands taking the charge

Sinsid t1_isvgmwd wrote

No we know what Dilbert has been working on all these years with his Estonian contractors.

Al_Bundy_14 t1_isu60z1 wrote

I watched some of the AUSA show. Almost all tanks and land vehicles are going hybrid.

Not_a_throwaway_999 t1_isuwx5w wrote

hear me out

start a company that owns a lot of these

charge governments for rent

charge gamers to operate

send it to the moon afghanistan, baby 🇺🇸

….

PROFIT!

DogGod18 t1_isueq42 wrote

Do you want terminater cyborgs? Because this is how you get terminater cyborgs.

bvogel7475 t1_isueymz wrote

They are too slow to be a difference maker on a large outdoor battlefield like Ukraine but could be useful in clearing dwellings in urban areas. Flying drones are still the most effective robotic soldiers.

zebrahdh t1_isuhz48 wrote

“They are hacker proof” they said to the hacker who just finished hacking them.

0-Give-a-fucks t1_isulng7 wrote

Killdozer is going oscar mike. Drop your cocks and grabs your socks people!

ViveIn t1_isv2ugk wrote

Hmm. Be nice if there were some international agreement about this kind of thing…

aspiringforbetter t1_isvbj80 wrote

I’m surprised they haven’t compacted the shot spotter system on regular drones we have now to locate enemy fire accurately and coordinate artillery strikes. Imagine a hive in the sky listening to your shots and movement and all of a sudden you have a barrage from kilometers away raining down on you lol

Rektumfreser t1_isxdu7h wrote

The whole point of self-propelled artillery is to fire off X rounds in a short time and vacate the premises before you could possibly counter-battery..

Taclink t1_isvrp22 wrote

First NATO country to do so. I contest that statement with Black Knight and the unmanned AH-6

FuturologyBot t1_isu62jy wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/mossadnik:

Submission Statement:

>“We have deployed four weaponised [unmanned] machines within an operational experiment”, told Lieutenant Colonel Sjoerd Mevissen, commander of the Royal Netherlands Army's Robotics and Autonomous System. “To my knowledge, we have not seen this before in the West…the machines have been handed over for experimental use in an operational unit in a military-relevant environment. These are not simply tests on a training ground. We are under the direct eyes and ears of the Russians, and as such in a semi-operational environment.”

>The machine-gun-toting robots aren’t the first the world has ever seen. Estonia first deployed an unarmed version of THeMIS in Mali in 2019. This Russian MoD confirmed it deployed armed UGVs in Syria in 2018. Iran has also been developing its own UGVs and showed off its Heidair-1 on social media in 2019. Iran’s small beetle-like drone seems designed to roll under tanks and APCs and explode.

>Both Russia’s Uran-9 and Estonia’s THeMIS are bigger and can carry more deadly equipment. The Uran-9 is capable of carrying a 30mm 2A72 automatic cannon and four 9M120-1 Ataka anti-tank guided missiles, which makes it look like a frightening and deadly killer robot. However, early reports indicate that Russia's UGV didn’t work well in Syria and repeatedly lost connection to its controller.

>During the summer, a video of a robot dog with an assault rifle strapped to its back went viral on the internet. Earlier this month, Boston Dynamics promised it wouldn’t weaponize its brand of robot dogs. The video was creepy and Boston Dynamics’ sentiment was aimed at calming down the public, but the truth is that killer ground robots are already here and that the world’s militaries aren’t interested in strapping a gun to the back of a quadruped even if they might have other uses on a near-future battlefield.

>Gun-toting killer ground robots were always going to look like what the Dutch have deployed and what the Russian’s tested in Syria—little tanks bristling with guns and absent humans.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/y7edoj/the_killer_ground_drone_revolution_is_here_the/isu00my/

TheLastSamurai t1_isu6vty wrote

Now imagine these get proliferate and AI starts controlling these. Not so easy to "just pull the plug" now is it?

OisforOwesome t1_isu8fqa wrote

The they/THeMIS army is here and conservatives are bricking it.

PraiseThePun81 t1_isuo3c4 wrote

I'm curious, Armies have been blowing up tanks for decades now, how are ground drones going to prove superior against tank killers?

Greater maneuverability than a tank? yes? But I can't see them as anything more than a lighter tank that the enemy already has an answer to.

dummythiccuwu t1_isv5unp wrote

These would be effective in urban spaces to clear out buildings, hide on roofs, etc. in open spaces flying drones would be better or if these had long range munitions like missiles and some sort of drone partner to scout so they could accurately fire.

AnOrdinary_Hippo t1_isvcg7f wrote

They’re cheaper and don’t put a human in danger. For the cost of one tank with crew you could have a dozen of these with a wider range of load outs. So you could have a few acting as mobile artillery, some for AA, some carrying arial drones,some acting as tanks, all for the cost of one tank. Kind of like a small modular land version of a carrier group.

SeaBag13 t1_isv28f0 wrote

Wow. Those are very cool. The article kind of dismisses a future for robotic bipods. However, I could see them quite useful for urban warfare.

EnvH1sage t1_isv5gm6 wrote

“Please put down your weapon. You have twenty seconds to comply”

martinbogo t1_isveqfa wrote

We've had completely computer controlled Abrams tanks since the mid to late 1990s. They used to install SGI supercomputers into the tanks that were so retrofitted.

Tannerleaf t1_isvq0tt wrote

The Soviets were using Teletanks a few years before then, in their war with Finland:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletank

Presumably because The White Death kept killing the gunners by sending bullets down their little tanks’ gun barrels.

There are probably quite a few other examples of remote controlled ground weapons like this.

Still, these things seem pretty vulnerable.

Zombebe t1_isvtdca wrote

The Black Ops 2 Killstreak "Swarm" has been unlocked.

mapoftasmania t1_isvudr1 wrote

In this context, it’s even more crazy that a lot of Americans believe they need the right to own an assault rifle in case they need to rise up against the Government. An insurgency wouldn’t stand a chance.

reddit_man64 t1_isvuzt5 wrote

Couldn’t I just kill these with relatively small EMPs set off at the right time? I believe small EMPs are pretty easy to build.

CoolSlimJim t1_isw08fk wrote

Does it bother anyone else that the system abbreviation has a lowercase “e” when there is no word that begins with E. It should be THyMIS.

Rhodog1234 t1_isw5t82 wrote

Them_Is some real future bad ass fuckery machines..Amiright?

Zeusmann34 t1_isw87op wrote

Can you buy stock in this company? Cuz it about to boom 💥

Carbuncle_Bob t1_iswflil wrote

Anyone that's seen the Metalhead episode of Black Mirror knows where this is going...

zenviking83 t1_iswh3xu wrote

This article instantly gave me flashbacks to a mid/late 90s game called Gunmetal. It was about tank drones that you could customize. Only difference was it was in a world run by rival corporations instead of countries. Had a dope soundtrack and concept.

Edit: It was also kind of Matrix like because your character lived in a vr pod and controlled the drone.

XyntakLP t1_iswjvxw wrote

Wasn't there something called Themis in Watch Dogs: Legion??? WILL WE NOT LEARN?!?!

boersc t1_iswsz3m wrote

Go us, I guess? Weird that I live here and I only hear about this via a foreign reddit post. Nothing is said or mentioned about this over here...

TotallyInOverMyHead t1_isx2osv wrote

“To my knowledge, we have not seen this before in the West…[...]" But we have seen it in the East (specificially made by Iran to blow up ukranian civilian buildings via target information from Russia. It is called a suicide drone (this one just has sustained offensive Capabilities)

Black_RL t1_isxiflr wrote

Better than soldiers dying.

Black_RL t1_isxik8n wrote

Better than soldiers dying.

War is such an horrible thing, forcing people to kill each other, yeah I know, some like it, but most don’t.

ResurgentOcelot t1_isxmutq wrote

Author mistakes drones and robots for the same thing.

I am against military robots, they are obvious disasters waiting to happen.

Drones are under a pilot’s control. The potential concerns about drones are dwarfed by the risks presented by robots which act autonomously.

Hurrikraken t1_isxvb12 wrote

Do I have to crosspost everything to cyberpunk today?

Badfickle t1_isxx190 wrote

That's not terrifying at all. I can see nothing that could go wrong.

charmingbagel t1_isxykje wrote

Sooner or later, they will be deployed in American city.

No_Pop4019 t1_isy2iwi wrote

How are these robots expected to determine friendly vs hostile target?

WyomingBadger t1_isyr9j5 wrote

Good! Democracies need to keep pace on this unavoidable arms race. Sad but true.

Idcr1Z1s t1_isun53d wrote

Testing on the population in a Dutch city near you soon !

mescaleeto t1_isutdkl wrote

it was always only a matter of time, as if no one took James Cameron seriously