Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

shave_your_teeth_pls t1_iu21gza wrote

This one can't pull the whole ship though. It'll reduce emissions by 5-8%, it's partially powered by wind, and not by much it seems.

ContemplatingFolly t1_iu24ytd wrote

To tag on...I remember hearing about this potential idea like 15 years ago, and this is all they have to show for it?

Northwindlowlander t1_iu26fyc wrote

It's a non trivial thing, it turns out. Most of the earlier schemes planned to use skysails (ie kites, basically), or something very like traditional sails, but they kept running into practicality issues. This solid sail approach is more complicated to implement but is supposed to be easier to operate and to not need much change in operator practices, training etc, and it's also supposed to be useful in more conditions.

starfyredragon t1_iu2frdi wrote

... I wonder if a solid sail would work on a sailboat...

LLCoolDave82 t1_iu2km62 wrote

America's cup (F1 for sailboat racing) switched to solid sails 10 years ago or so. It's basically a wing.

ContemplatingFolly t1_iu2p6y9 wrote

Yes, that's what I recall reading about so long ago. Thanks for the update.

If they can get to the 20% someone mentioned above, that will be something. Its just getting kinda late.

Alovebird t1_iu3svvz wrote

This isn't a specially designed ship, it's been retrofitted to a existing vessel, being able to cut 5-8% emissions off fleets of existing vessel's would add up fast.